This Disappears When Logged In

Alligator Lizard Stuck in Web

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by Poison, Sep 11, 2012.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

From what I have seen I would bet it was a black widow, their webs are quite strong and would be able to take on that size lizard. I have seen full grown swifts... well mummies of swifts, in Black Widow webs.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I've never seen a black widow web, we don't have those here.

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Aw Michele! You're missing out! :) we have tons of black widows in NM. They make amazing webs, really strong, and they're pretty aggressive when it comes to food.

To the OP, have you tried looking for the spider at night? Spiders are usually nocturnal, and hide very well during the day. :)

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I love feeding the spiders around out house, but I feed them crane flies, and earwigs.

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

If it eats a masquito it's a good thing to have around :p

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes. Exactly...well I get rid of the poisonous ones as I have a toddler and several weird dogs that are constantly nosing around the back yard. But I encourage the more harmless species.

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Remember, all spiders are venomous! Just not everyone envenomated has a reaction! For example, I've been bitten and envenomated by black widows several times and haven't had a reaction worse than hives. :)

8. Poison

Poison Elite Member

same here i like to think i have super powers :p

as an update to the spider there was no new spider web there today but there was a black widow in my back yard that i gave a cricket to just to be nice to my fellow neighbors

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Have you checked at night?

10. Poison

Poison Elite Member

no i was gonna check last night but i fell asleep lol but ill check tonight

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I agree with what's been stated in regards to the animal possibly being bit. With large prey most spiders will quickly rush to it right after being esnared in order to inflict a debilitating bite while simultaneously repairing and enforcing the web surrounding the victim. If the prey continues to struggle the spider will retreat and wait until it wears itself out and succumbs to the venom.