This Disappears When Logged In

Alligator Clips to Outlet

Discussion in 'Electricity/Wiring' started by Rakoladycz, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I have a 750gph bilge pump just laying around. It has the alligator clips for hooking it up to my boat battery, I was wanting to know if there is anyway to safely wire it so it can be plugged directly into an outlet? I want it to be used potentially for extended periods and worry it will burn up the pump if I just wire it directly to a plug. Anyone electrical savvy know how this can be done?

2. Rudiman

Rudiman Elite Member

Randy,

Yes .... You can buy a 12 volt ac adapter and splice the wires.

Scott

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Check the amperage on the pump. I would assume that the battery is putting out a large amperage just like a car would. Even if you convert over to 120 you'll still have a draw for your pump motor. Most household recepticles are only rated for 15 amps. Should be okay but it depends on the horse power of your pump. Just double check that if you deciede to do it.

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

This is what I was hoping the solution was.

Can you explain draw to me?

5. Rudiman

Rudiman Elite Member

Look at the pump....should say 12v. ??amps.
    If it less 15 amp, you should be fine. It more than likely is.

Scott

6. JoeyG

It should say on the name plate where all the info for it is. Just look under amps or if it does not tell you it should have the horse power, we can convert that to find out. I'm not sure what kind of motor you have exactly so I just wanted to make sure. If it's small you'll be fine. Once the voltage goes up your amps will go down.

7. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Atwood V750 Model 4207 bilge pump
    13.6 VDC 3.4 Ampere

It says some more on it but it is worn away. I should be fine I assume.

same as one pictured here.

8. JoeyG

that thing is tiny! the "750" made me think it was bigger for some reason :) You'll be waaayyyy under if you convert that over to 120v so your okay. Sorry to make you go through all that.

9. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Just a heads up.. most of the power adaptors sold at stores like wal mart or radio shack are only capable of driving a one amp load, if you connect the bilge pump to one of these, the transformer will get hot and possibly start a fire.

Those adapters are made to run radios and small electronics, not motors.

Here is one I found that will handle the load with some power to spare...

Computer Power Supplies - Power Supply Accessories