This Disappears When Logged In

Aldabran Tortoises

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Yvonne G, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

Bo (the Bigger One) and So (the Smaller One) came to live with me as hatchlings. I set them up in an insulated shed in the yard where they would spend their lives. At first, because they were so small, they lived in a tort table in the shed, with forays out into the yard for sun and grazing. As they grew bigger, they moved into the shed and out into the yard, and I kept moving the fence to make their yard bigger. They hatched in 2000, so it was easy to keep track of their age.

Sadly, last year, I had to sell them. They were getting too big for me to handle, and as they didn't always go into their shed at night, I knew it was time for them to find a new home. At the time of the sale, they were both upwards of 200lbs. I could get Bo to move by tapping on the rear of his shell with a stick, but So was stubborn. Nothing I did would make him move.

I hated to see them go. They were very tame and followed people around begging for treats. They were the centerpiece of my little tortoise operation. But you have to think of what's best for the animal.

10-15-11 So.jpg 10-15-11 So-2.jpg 10-15-11 So-3.jpg aldab soon to be leopard yard.jpg aldabran 5-2-16.jpg Aldabran 9-1-14 a.jpg aldabran drip b.jpg aldabran mud hole.jpg Aldabran shed 8-2-13 a.jpg Aldabran SO 7-10-11.jpg

Darkbird likes this.
  2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Wow, very nice. Too bad you had to get rid of them, but I do understand. Hard to talk 200lbs into moving when it doesn't want to.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I really didn't think they grew that fast. I'm sure you had a hard tie saying good-bye.
    Can you visit them on occasion?

4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

No. I sold them to a fellow in SoCal. Too far for this old body to drive.

5. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

That picture of Bo (I think?) on the stump is epic. Honestly looks prehistoric besides the fencing, haha.

6. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

He was quite the .character