This Disappears When Logged In

Albino Reticulated Python

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by briana1399, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I want one so bad if you know any one going to the reptile show in Columbus Ohio at the UAW hall that may have this python please let me know! I'm hurting for one so bad!!;)

2. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Hope you know what your getting into if you want to buy one of these snakes, their not beginner snakes, they are the longest snake in the world. One case suggested one that was found larger than 32feet. So you need a very large enclosure, and you would have to feed it dead rabbits/small pigs/chickens/etc.

3. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I was taking that into consideration...and I was also curious if the dwarf ones were actually real?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Even the dwarf retics are good sized snakes, 10-12 ft. Amd the true dwarfs are expensive!

No offense but it seems that you are new to snake keeping. Something like a retic is NOT for a newbie. They are a big responsibilty and can be very dangerous.

5. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

A super Dwarf Retic will cost you about 600 bucks. They get about 10 foot maybe, and stay slender. A retic is not a newbie snake. Trust me. Also, youll need a cage about 8 foot long by 3 foot wide to house him or her when they are adults. Or maybe a spare bedroom...

6. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Thats one statement that should make you realize their size, and merlin you said they can be quite dangerous, are they prone to aggressive behavior? I know that if they are full grown and get a bite on you and coil around you they COULD kill you, but what are the odds of them trying a stunt like that?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Retics are notorious for aggressive behavior! I hear that a lot of that is due more to wild caught snakes and that captive bred ones are a bit more tractable. But it STILL is not a snake to be trifled with.
    I know long time keepers who are very experienced with them that have gotten in trouble by letting their guard down just for a second!
    When you are advised not to handle an adult without 2-3 people around to help, it should be a heads up as to what you are dealing with.
    Two days before this picture was taken the retic had swallowed a 40 lb pig,...WHOLE!
    [​IMG]

8. MoogleBass

Thats fluffy :)! Shes so cute isn't she!

Yes mine bit me when he was 6 foot and tried to pull me in his cage. Thank god for old granddad.... Hurt like ****, but he let go and ****ed him off more. Mine would scarf down 3 XXL Rats at a time. I got rid of him when he was 12 foot because I could not care for him any longer.

I do eventually want a Super Dwarf, but thats when I have my own place.

Wild caught ones are more argo than Captive bred.

9. Josh

Josh Elite Member

My retic is only a little bit more than 5 feet and I have been bit by her already and trust me it hurts. Like Merlin said all you have to do is let your guard down for a split second and you haven't really said weather you have any large snake keeping expierience or not, because like it was said before NOT beginner snakes.

10. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

No I've had plenty of snakes (I usually just have help caring for them instead of on my own) and I'm not crazy about the size...too big for me. But I do want the dwarf and price isn't s huge problem for me but other people say that breeders sometimes say it a dwarf when really its just small. I don't want to be stuck with what I think is a dwarf and it is not.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Reticulated pythons are the only snake with a documented history of eating people - there are even pictures of this! (Not to say that other snakes haven't just that there are official, verifiable records of the reticulated python doing so.) Think long and hard.

I actually have a picture in one of my books of a person being consumed (or attempted) by a reticulated python. I say attempted, because it started with the head. They can only consume a human successfully feet first - backwards to everything else they typically eat, because our shoulders are too widely flared.

12. MoogleBass

13. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

mooglebass- thank you for the website. that is what i am looking for. I've looked at a lot of sites since i spoke with you guys and i think i am heading the other direction in getting one of these. my main interest is green tree pythons. I'm not an expert on snakes obviously...but my family has had quiet a few...would a green tree python be potentially something I could handle?

14. MoogleBass

If you want alot of scars....

15. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Well...I'll just get a lot of band aids. Thanks for the help.

16. ANNA M BRAUN

ANNA M BRAUN Member

Thank you every one good advice!! We are not judging your ability at all. Think, do you live in an apartment, condo,or at home? This snake will be part of the family for a long time. I have been into reptiles for over 45 years. I am 57 now, I had a retic in 1969. All were wild, no captive breeding, it lived for 2 weeks. Only now am I ready for mine. A really big commitment!!! Good luck any way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.