This Disappears When Logged In

Albino Burmese Python Has Not Eaten for a Year

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by ahmadooka, Aug 3, 2014.

1. ahmadooka

ahmadooka Member

Hi all,

I have a male albino Burmese Python which has not eaten anything for almost a year. Since I got it it has eaten about 6 mice then stopped a year ago and has not eaten anything since.

The cage is big but has only one hide on the warn side, otherwise the temperature, humidity and all other conditions are very good. The python looks healthy but getting skinny. It's a little less than 2 meters long. It has shed 3 or 4 times during this year.

I have tried to assist feed it but it literally spit the mouse out twice. I don't know if anything is wrong with it, it looks fine but I'm worried about this very long fasting time. Any ideas?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What size feeders are you offering him? Are you doing live or frozen thawed? Can you give specific enclosure temperatures and humidity, also what type of thermometer are you using?

3. ahmadooka

ahmadooka Member

I'm giving small live mice. It has eaten several of them before it stopped eating.
    Temperature is 31C on cool end and 34C on warm end. It drops 3-4C degrees at night automatically.
    I have 2 analog thermometers one on each end, and one digital which is used by the thermostat to regulate the temperature automatically. They all give the same readings.
    Humidity is always between 40%-60%

Here are some pictures:

20140804_225835.jpg

20140804_225907.jpg

20140804_225921.jpg

20140804_225942.jpg

20140804_230010.jpg

4. mshrmheadcharge

I would say shes a little too big for mice, have you tried small rats yet?
    Also, try lowering your warm side temps to 29-31c, 34 may be a bit too warm for her.

5. ahmadooka

ahmadooka Member

I will try that. I'll let you know in a couple of days.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If she doesn't feed, get her to a vet! That snake is in seriously bad shape!

7. mshrmheadcharge

Now that I take a closer look at the snake, she looks pretty thin and dehydrated. I'm with Merlin, if she doesn't eat you absolutely need to get her to a vet. How often are you changing her water?

8. ahmadooka

ahmadooka Member

No vets for snakes around here :( Whatever it is I need to do it myself
    I change the water weekly.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Where is "around here"?
    Maybe one of our members can refer you to someone.

10. ahmadooka

ahmadooka Member

Cairo, Egypt

11. mshrmheadcharge

Found one: Pet Vet

And another:
    Dr. Farouk Baghat
    PDSA Animal Hospital Lufthansa and G.E. Veterinary Commissioner
    Cairo, Egypt
    Tel: 822294 or 2914985

12. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I understand you're here for help and it's good but you really need to do some reading on the animal you're keeping. Why is there a cucumber in the enclosure???? Small mice will do nothing for that animal. Lower temps and provide a cooler side and cleaner water, needs somewhere to hide and better gauges.... Doubt the animal will eat in that state.... hydrate it and allow it to be concealed for a while then use rats. If you're doing live, stun the rat so it doesn't hurt the snake

13. ahmadooka

ahmadooka Member

No clinic here will check snakes, trust me, just cats, dogs, birds.

@ Joey

I did do a lot of reading. The temperature I have should be good for Burmese according to How to Take Care of Burmese Pythons as Pets
    I'm trying to use mice since it has been fasting for a year and I thought it might not be ready for a large rat.

14. mshrmheadcharge

Thats just not true, the second name I gave you is a herp vet, one highly recommended for your area.
    Also, your temps are too high, as I stated before. You should lower them a bit. Maybe get a new digital thermometer.

15. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

That Burm is in really rough shape. You need to get to a vet and they will help you out

16. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Ok, from someone who has kept burms in the past. That snake is in bad shape. If it really is close to 2 meters, then it is probably not seeing the mice as a viable food source, not worth the energy required to swallow them. It should have been on rats long ago, probably on large or jumbo by now. Make sure it has clean fresh water, then if it won't take a good size rat then you need to get it to a vet. And someone was already nice enough to locate one that is listed as taking reptiles, so if you haven't already give them a call to see if they will see your snake. It may neeed a little help to get it back on track again.

17. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

Why is there a cucumber??

18. ahmadooka

ahmadooka Member

He finally ate !

I lowered the temperature a couple of degrees a few days before. This time I gave him a live pigeon. I left it all night and he didn't touch it. When I woke up the next morning it was dead and he was about to eat it. I came back a few hours later and it was gone. :)

19. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Well, that's a start anyway.

20. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

I'm still wondering about the cucumber :)