This Disappears When Logged In

Air Fresheners, Candles and Insects Vs. Reptiles

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Zomby, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Zomby

Zomby Well-Known Member

Are air fresheners, candles and insects safe to use in the same room you house a reptile? Maybe I'm paranoid, but thought I'd ask to be safe.

2. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

I have used the Glade Air Freshener system for about a year or so, and I have not noticed any ill effect. However if you don’t feel comfortable using air fresheners then I would recommend an Air Purifier (I also have one of these in my reptile room)

3. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I have a few air fresheners but they're nothing too potent... And my herps are fine. My housemates and I sometimes smoke around the house too and every now and then a spritz of air freshening spray here and there and the herps don't seem to notice it much. Maybe if it's just for a few minutes it's okay, but I would personally not burn incense or smoke around the herps all day long.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Insects?
    Do you mean insecticide? I would be very leery of using sprays around them. The candles and incense shouldn't be an issue.
    Unless the end result makes the room look like your mattress is on fire!;)
    I burn incense and my wife does a lot of scented candles.

5. jkxy

jkxy Elite Member

I use Febreeze Plug ins. My room smells good and I havent noticed an ill effects in my geckos or roaches

6. LizardCrazyCelt

LizardCrazyCelt Elite Member

I was actually going to ask that question, but about simmering oils. I would think if the others are okay, that oil burners would be too, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Smoke of any type (tobacco, wood, incense) is bad for most animals if they are overexposed, but I strongly doubt your lighting a stick and placing it in your herps cage. Ambient aromas in the house should not cause a problem. When in doubt, avoid it. I do not use any perfumed things in my reptile room, no cleaners, air fresheners, candles, incense, etc. But that's more because I have a very acute sense of smell, and can't stand most of those things. To top that off, I do not want any kind of scent interfering with my ability to detect odors in that room. (I am very adamant about having a house that is free of odor, as much as possible.)

I'm extremely sensitive to smoke of any kind, and even though I like some kinds of incense, I can't burn them very often, because I risk getting very very ill. Campfires similarly cause me problems. I do on occasion burn soy candles, and if you trim the wick low enough, they don't produce much smoke at all. But cheap candles, like Yankee, forget it. They smoke up the house enough that my chest feels compressed, and my bronchi start closing up.

8. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thanks Jen! Ha, no, I don't encourage my pets to smoke so I don't do it very often, maybe just a couple times a week while watching TV. I'm sure he notices it but doesn't move away or show any signs of distress.

9. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

I heard that Fabreeze spray was dangerous to birds in particular, but not mammals. I am not sure about reptiles.