This Disappears When Logged In

Aggression

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by IguanaPrime, Feb 20, 2018.

1. IguanaPrime

IguanaPrime Member

Hello,

I am not a new as an iguana owner, however it has been 20 years since owning one.
    I got this one from a friend, he is estimated a year old. They never handled him only to clean cage about every other week.
    He was eating a bad diet.
    Ok, details now.
    I have had since Christmas of 2017, just under 2 months.
    We let him sit for 2 weeks before interaction with humans. after 2 weeks it was just me, 3 weeks the kids as well.
    He was doing good, getting real nice color, eating way better, and now as of 4 days ago, even going near the cage he is very aggressive, smacks the cage, and has tried to bite me once.
    He does need a bigger cage, i am in the process of building one, just taking financially longer that anticipated.
    My main concern when getting him was his health, and getting him healthy.
    Any ideas on why he/she would have changed so quickly?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Many times an ig that is in poor health will appear docile. When they get to feeling up to snuff they get back to fiesty.
    How big is the ig and how big is the enclosure?

IguanaPrime likes this.
  3. IguanaPrime

IguanaPrime Member

I havent measured him, snot to tail about 18inches, estimated, he is in a 30gallon enclosure, thus what they had him in, but wasnt taking care of him. Im.in the process of building an enclosure, just need money to finish, I was more concerned qith getting him from the previous owner and getting him healthy

4. NikNik

NikNik Member

I had a nile monitor that never really mellowed out. I had him about 4 years, handled him pretty much everyday, husbandry was on point as was his diet. I just accepted he was a little bastard and I acted accordingly around him. Best of luck!!

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s possible the previous owners were keeping the iguana undermetabolised (underheated|) if the temps etc are now supportive it might explain the sudden "wariness" (and still some stress from the move).

6. IguanaPrime

IguanaPrime Member

I havent measured him, snot to tail about 18inches, estimated, he is in a 30gallon enclosure, thus what they had him in, but wasnt taking care of him. Im.in the process of building an enclosure, just need money to finish, I was more concerned qith getting him from the previous owner and getting him healthy

7. IguanaPrime

IguanaPrime Member

lol, sorry, for laughing, just had to. Thanks, maybe thats it. I am in the process of getting a bigger cage. so maybe, just maybe thats it.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you acted the way the monitor behaved towards you perhaps that`s one of the reasons it never calmed down?

9. IguanaPrime

IguanaPrime Member

Yeah, they had just a blue bulb they always kept on, i now have a heat lamp, and a UVB day bulb that is on during the day. I live in New Orleans and i am in the process of building 2 housing, one that will be outside that i could place him in during the day so that he could get some exposure to outside and actual sun. And the other will be in the house, the other bad thing, is that there is nowhere in my house that i can place him for window viewing.

10. IguanaPrime

IguanaPrime Member

i have seen the "im the boss technique" but i dont want to do that, because my kids want to hold and interact with him, and i hightly doubt that if he got aggresive they would pick him up and do the strict holding until he calmed down.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you show a few photos of the current setup (not to criticise) and also more details on the wattage and type/brand of heat and UVB bulbs?
    It`s not recommended to place an enclosure where sunlight can fall on it because of the risk of overheating.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m not a fan of the "forcefully holding them until they calm down" method, I`m sure it causes much stress, I much prefer the "time and patience" technique whenever possible.

13. NikNik

NikNik Member

I didn't try to bite or whip him with a tail, nor did I bite and hang on for 10-15 minutes at a time.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The animal reacted to a perceived threat (you) the fact you say you continued to handle the monitor daily didn`t help at all.

15. NikNik

NikNik Member

You got me on that one, but I don't think he was scared/threatened by me. He never puffed up or ran from me, in fact he liked to get his belly rubbed but only when he wanted it.

16. Merlin

Back to the iguana.
    The tiny tank is part of your issue. Minimum size for a hatching is a 55 gal and that for just few weeks.
    The iguana basicly feels trapped. In fear situations they have to choose between fight and flight. In the little enclosure the choice to flee is removed leaving them with only one choice. And it involves teeth.

17. IguanaPrime

IguanaPrime Member

Thanks, and ill post back once i have him a new enclosure.

18. Merlin

Please do! And check out our iguana care section. I've kept iguanas since back in the 70s and a lot has been learned...
    Such as no animal protein in the diet.

19. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Sounds ferocious! :D they all have their own personalities don't they? You have to learn their boundries and respect them, or they will act out. I have a some snakes that have less patience than others when being handled, and you just gotta know when they are done, they're DONE!
    And from what I can tell from working with my monitor, they are very independent and want to do things their way. She let's me pick her up and everything, but only on her terms and if she can easily get away when she wants. But it takes a while for the monitor to trust you enough even for that.