This Disappears When Logged In

AFT Question, Possibly a Serious Problem

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Seandeezy, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

No I haven't. :/

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

If the poo is off and the tails are not getting fat, that signals to me a possible parasite problem. Only way to figure this out is a trip to the vet with some poop!

3. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

I mean the female does have an excuse as to why her tail isn't growing right? Her fat is going to her stomach for the eggs.

Anyways, how much do you think it would cost for a scan? or a vet visit?

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

If she is still eating, eggs should not keep her tail from getting fat to my knowledge. If she starts eating less Because she is gravid, as some female reptiles will do, then that is a different story. I definitely think you need to take them to the vet. You can use the vet finder here to find a good herp vet in your area. Call around and see who has the most experience, and ask for prices. Here an initial exam costa a little under $70, and anything after that (i.e. medications, screening, x-rays to check for impactions which you might need to do for your male) costs extra. Some vets will let you set up a payment plan if you can not pay it all up front.

5. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

Awh lame, I just checked out that Vet Finder thing, and there aren't any vet's close to me, they are all up north. I guess I'm going to have to ask my dad when he gets home where he took his iguanas. Hopefully this won't be too expensive, but if it is, it needs to be done. I want the best for my little geckos. :)

I'm glad that you mentioned the female not eating because yesterday I tried feeding her and she only ate one cricket and didn't want anymore. I'm not sure what that is all about. :/

6. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Pull out a Phone book or google and start calling vets close to you - ask them to recommend the nearest vet who Specializes in herps and has experience in the area.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Any vet can do a fecal to check for parasites. Its not that complicated. Then they can consult with a herp vet over the phone as to treatment.
    If your gecko is thin you should not be breeding her anyway. Egg formation is a big drain on their bodies.

8. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

Yeah I didn't think they would breed this young because they aren't very old, guess I was wrong lol. The only way to prevent this is to keep them in separate cages until they are stockier?

I'm going to give it one more day to see if the male poops anymore. If I don't see anything by tomorrow morning, I'm going to take him to the vet down the street. I looked them up and they treat reptiles, so yay :)

I hope everything is okay with my little buddies.

9. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Yes, the only way to keep them breeding (which shortens the female's lifespan btw) is to keep them separate. Only put them together when you Want them to breed, and then after they have bred, separate them again. They should be a healthy weight before breeding though: I suggest buying a small gram scale if you do intend to breed them. It will be a good idea if these eggs turn out fertile anyways, so that you can weight the babies as they grow and be sure that they are getting enough food, etc. :) Cute geckos btw, thanks for the pics.

10. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

So I woke up this morning and checked up on my geckos. The male and female have both pooped and it looks to be pretty normal.

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

That's good to hear:) Keep up the good work:)

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Yaaaay! :) They are not out of the hole yet though. Now you need to make sure that they are pooping regularly. Can you get a small gram scale? I would highly recommend doing so. Then you can weigh them and see if they are losing, gaining, or maintaining weight. It will be good to have if the eggs hatch too. (Which I hope they do. :) ). Also, they can be pooping and still have parasites, so if they continue pooping normally, but still seem to be staying pretty skinny, I would still suggest bringing them in.

13. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

Where can I pick up a gram scale? :)

Just another question: I know AFT's are nocturnal and just hideaway all day until the night, but should I use my Sun Glo bulb during the day or should I just leave in the Night Glo bulb? :D

14. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I'd say leave the night glo in just the light from the day(as long as where it's kept isn't a closet;)) should be enough of a day/night for them. (I'm no expert tho, just an educated guess;))

15. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

It would not hurt to have the day glow bulb on during the day, and it would help create a day/night rise and drop in temps... I don't know though, you would be fine just using the night glow bulb too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.