This Disappears When Logged In

AFT Question, Possibly a Serious Problem

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Seandeezy, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

[​IMG]

Alright, here is my big tank now, I still need to get new gauges but this is what I've done so far. I put the heating pad under the humidhide; not totally under it, but about half. I checked the temperature of the tank when I woke up which was around 11pm (lol), but the tank is around 85degrees right now. Today I'm going to set up the 10gal for the male and put him in there to check for poopage! :D

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Make sure you get digital gauges, they are the best and you can get them a home depot, lowes, or even wal mart cheap. Make sure you get the therm/hydro combo.

3. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

Alright so I bought the gauge, it's digital. I went to many stores to find a digital therm/hygro meter, but this one doesn't have a probe, so I just left it in the hot spot and I just put a temp gauge in the cool end.
    Right now in the hot spot, it says it is 83, and the humidity is at 43%

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

5. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

*slaps forehead* I KNEW there was something I was forgetting:eek::eek:
    Thanks Liz :)

6. schlegelbagel

I also noticed you said you fed your geckos weekly? They should be offered food every other day. They are probably not fattening up because they aren't eating often enough. They have to take fat from their tail reserves during the week.

7. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

I saved the care sheet in a document the first day I saw this forum, so I can fix the cricket problem. :)

But as for the humidity, I have the humidhide in the tank which they go into, but how do I raise the tanks overal humidity? Or do I not need to if I have the humidhide?

8. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

I took a quick look again at the care sheet for the humidity, stating that I need to keep the tank humid, and then the humidhide the most humid in the tank. How on earth am I going to raise the humidity of my tank? I heard about misting cages, but over the last few days, I read up somewhere that misting was bad.

9. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Misting is fine. Just mist the cage around once a day to a few times a week, depending on how much you need to raise the humidity. Are you also gut-loading your crickets and worms? You can buy Gut-loading cubes to give the crickets, or put pieces of carrots and such in with them. They need to be gut loaded about 24 hours before you feed them to the Geckos.

10. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

Yeah I know about gut loading, I've done it before. I've never seen the gut load cubes though, the stuff I've bought has always been like powder that looks like oatmeal. What percentage do I need to achieve for AFT's; humidity wise?

11. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

For humidity I would just mist the cage lightly 2 times a day and make sure the moist hide is moist lmao.

Also you don't need the cubes for gut loading, you can just put vegetables in the tub or container you keep the crickets in because the nutrients from the veggies will be eaten by the crickets then transferred to your gecko when he eats them.

Also every other feeding dust your crickets with a reptile vitamin powder. I would offer them crickets every 2 days.

Hope all goes well for you.

12. schlegelbagel

I don't bother with commercial gut load. Just drop some fruit or veggie scraps in with your crickets.

To keep in humidity, cover the tank where you don't have lights with some plastic or tinfoil. This will keep it from going up and out of the tank. I would aim for somewhere in the 50% mark, and misting is fine.

13. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

Sweet, I just got my tank to 54% :)
    Thanks guys, I don't know what I would do without you!
    I love this forum. :D Everybody has been so good to me, thank you all so much.

You'll be hearing from me again soon when the eggs are layed! :D

14. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Haha Yes, this forum is Wonderful! It has it's bad side to though... it provides a wonderful excuse for procrastination and staying up just a biiit longer... ;) haha I don't know what I would do w/out this site. I am not sure what my lizards would do either! (btw THANKS JFogle!)

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

WHAT???YOUR STILL UP???:p:p:p;)
    If you didn't have this site then Tito would have you trained better and would be ruling the home more than he does:D:D:p:p:p;)

16. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

:D rolfmao It is only 10:48pm here silly! Bedtime isn't ntil after 2 at least! ;) And if I didn't have this site, Tito might not have survived very long... :(

17. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL thats about when I head to bed also:p And I know sweetie:(I was just trying to be funny and make you smile:p;)
    Tito is a lucky little(for now:p)Ig and he's lucky to have a parent that loves him as much as you do:)

18. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Haha I got the joke, and I did smile. :) (It was a much needed smile too. My bf is leaving town for a while to work on the Slope in a few days and I am feeling sad :( ) And "little (for now)" is a sure thing! lmao I can't WAIT for him to get big! On the other hand, I would like him to be a LOT more calm before that happens...we're getting there...

P.S. Seandeezy: do you have any pics of your geckos? :)

19. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

I've never seen so many smileys used before hahaha.:eek:

I do have an update on what's going on with the poop situation. The female is pooping regular sized, but the color isn't like... white and then black, it's just all grey. The male's poop doesn't look right. He ate about 8 crickets or maybe even more yesterday, I fed him separate. His poop doesn't have the black part, it's just a little white ball. :eek:

As for the pictures of my geckos, I have many! :) I'd get a recent one of my female, but she's in her little hideaway. :)

The female is named Courtney. Named her after a girl I used to like way back in the day hahaha. :eek:
    I named the male Stiffler because in American Pie, Stiffler liked to get down. He knocked up Courtney so fast. :) He's the one with the stripe.

P.S. In the picture showing my humidhide, I know we made it upside down, but whatever haha.

Attached Files:

20. schlegelbagel

Have you ever had your geckos screened for parasites?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.