This Disappears When Logged In

AFT Egg Problem

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by jengal, Nov 29, 2009.

1. jengal

jengal Elite Member

I am trying to figure out if we have ruined our eggs by
    accidentally having the temperature too high for four days, i.e. since they were laid. We have them in a Hovabator, with the incubator's temp set at 85º, and it has stayed there consistently the whole time. We chose that temp because we wanted to be surprised about whether they become boys or girls. I was curious about the temp in the vermiculite, so I put the probe thermometer in there and it was 94º! They were laid on Wednesday night, and now it is Sunday mid-day. Has their sex already been determined? Will this have deleterious effects on them (e.g. will they become mean males?). Otherwise, they seem fine. One of them was dented when we first found it, which was approx. one hour after it was laid. So I went ahead and put it in the verm., and put a few drops of water on the dented part. Within an hour or so, it was back to the correct shape. The other one looked just perfect when we found it.

Also, I have found conflicting advice about when to candle the eggs. One site said to do it when the eggs are 2 or 3 days old. The other said 2 or 3 weeks. Which is better?

Thanks so much for your advice, Tracie. I really do appreciate it.

Kindly,

Jennifer

p.s. I also posted this on Allexperts.com, but I thought I'd collect a few opinions from you guys, too.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I typically wait a minimum of 2 weeks when I decide to candle. Candling too soon can yield nothing, which can get your hopes down. I have found that after 2 weeks of incubating, you will always be able to see something when you candle. Since some people candle just to find out if the egg is fertile, waiting is definitely much better than doing it to soon.

This is the article I tossed together for Leos. It also applies to AFT's.

Leopard Gecko Egg Candling

3. jengal

jengal Elite Member

I think I found my own answer:

"The eggs are affected by the temperature at which they are incubated during the middle one-third of embryonic development[2]. This critical period of incubation is known as the thermosensitive period (TSP)[3]."

Temperature-dependent sex determination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is probably common knowledge to the most of you, but now that I know, too, I feel much better.

Unless, of course, someone disagrees? If so, lemme know. :)

Thanks much, Jennifer

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sorry I didn't answer the first half of your question Jen. I simply overlooked it when I started responding to the candling.

I am not certain with AFT's, but sex is determined in leopard geckos during the first couple weeks.

5. jengal

jengal Elite Member

So, what's your best guess on the first four days? Are we SOL? -Jen