This Disappears When Logged In

African Sideneck Turtle Sleeping A Lot

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Nicholas623, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Nicholas623

Nicholas623 Member

Hello everyone,

So I purchased a African sideneck turtle from petsmart about two weeks ago, and he was pretty active and moving around a lot. About 4-5 days ago I've noticed he's been sleeping a lot more then usual, I'm not sure about night time because I'm sleeping, but a lot during the day. He still eats fine and he was basking this morning, but he sleeps a lot more then usual. His water temps are 77-78 F, Basking spot is about 92 F, and his ambient air temperature is 79-82 F, he also has a compact uvb bulb, heat lamp, turtle dock for basking, and a zilla water heater, and a filter. I did a complete water change yesterday just to make sure, but I usually do 22-50 % water changes. He's in a plastic sterlite tub which is the equivalent to a 40 gallon breeder floor space, and he's about 4 inches long. I haven't noticed any signs of illness such as mucus, sneezing, bubbles from nose, lopsided swimming,
    and he/she doesn't seem to have any swelling. He has yawned but I've only seen it about twice since I've had him. If anyone has any clue to why he's been sleeping so much then I'd appreciate it if you could let me know! Oh, he/she also been in shed since I've got him/her.

-Nick

2. Nicholas623

Nicholas623 Member

I took these pictures just in case it's related to his shell

Attached Files:

3. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

My turtle will go through phases where he sleeps a lot.
    He is probably fine, but I would take a stool sample to your vet, just to be safe.
    Mine came from Petco or petsmart I can't remember which and was loaded with parasites.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

More than likely, it is just used to the enclosure now and doesn't feel like being as active. It's not unusual for animals to calm down a bit once they acclimate to a new setup. Of course, as was mentioned above, getting a fecal to the vet doesn't hurt either.