This Disappears When Logged In

African Dwarf Frog Has Fungus

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Elite Member

So past two days one of my fish had some really bad fungus, and ended up dying last night. Now I have noticed some fungus on one of my frogs' foot. I can't get a picture of it. I've got him quarantined, like I did with my fish. The foot that it's on is looking smaller than the other. Although he seems perfectly fine. Can I use the same medicine on him that I can with fish?

2. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

What meds are you using? Is it melafix? I think using melafix would be okay to use on the fungus but I am not sure because I have never used melafix on frogs. Maybe someone else with better knowledge can answer. Make sure if you can use it to remove the activated carbon.

3. California Cowgirl

I tried Maracyn on my fish, but I think i found the fungus to late on him to even give him a chance to live and it grew very fast. So I'm hoping that I can treat it soon enough, or if I have to, I can take him to work tomorrow and see if one of the doctors can do anything.

4. labelleninirose

can you post a pic of what the fungus looks like? I remember when I had fan tail gold fish...they would always get fin rot because of something in my water....meds would not work at all....so what I did was bring the fish to vet to cut off the damaged fins and with that they were okay...as for the water I bought big 18liters of bottled water for there tank. you cant really cut off frogs legs so the only thing I would suggest is going to the vet for meds as soon as possible because I am really not sure for the fish meds on frogs.

5. California Cowgirl

ok, i guess i'll take him to work tomorrow, i can't get a good pic of my frog but i'll put a pic of my fish that had it, my frog has a much milder case of it right now, the only real problem that i see is that the foot that the fungus is on is now a lot smaller than the other feet.

It's a bad pic, but the fish has it on the head, the hind fin, and the bottom fins, which ended up coming onto his back, over his eyes and mouth, and completley covered his side fins, which after all that ended up passing away, it got really nasty

Attached Files:

• 172.jpg
      172.jpg
      File size:
      6.7 KB
      Views:
  6. labelleninirose

doesnt look too good :( ask the vet about melafix. it heals and cures and its pretty mild its a good bacterial and fungus treatment.

7. California Cowgirl

yea, on my fish it spread very quickly, i don't know what's going on with my tank, first my fish, now this frog, i hope i've caught my frog soon enough to give him a chance to survive and i hope it doesn't spread to much tonight. Lol, i guess it's a good thing i work at a vet who treats exotics, i'm not sure about frogs but i'll try to see if they can do or suggest anything for both him and my tank to stop it from spreading

8. labelleninirose

is the frog having any other symptomes? is he sort of lethargic, not eating?

9. California Cowgirl

he seems perfectly healthy and i saw him go into zen mode so he must be comfortable, but i noticed he didn't eat his dinner, and to be honest i don't know if any of them eat the food that i give them :/

10. labelleninirose

yep a vet visit is the best thing to do! the vet might want to check what kind of fungus he is dealing with as well :) I hop everything turns out for the best...I know wiht fish when fungus hits, its a darn thing to control!

11. California Cowgirl

yup, that's what happened with my fish that died, it spread like crazy, i'm hoping my frog just got it

12. California Cowgirl

So i took my frog to the vet that i work at, and he got treatment :D so what my boss gave me is Miconosol lotion 1% antifungual liquid. I have to apply that on a qutip and swab it on his infected area. Then i also have some chlorhexamine to put a few drops in his quaratine tank and his normal home. And just from the swab this earlier today it's already looking better

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Glad its looking better. I only know of medicine for non-aquatic frogs.

14. California Cowgirl

Hehe yeah, it's looking like he has a chance to survive unlike my fish did.

15. labelleninirose

yay!!! i'm so happy he is okay :D

16. California Cowgirl

Yea, me too :D and now I'm glad my tank will go back to being healthy again, I still don't know why this fungus happened in the first place.

17. California Cowgirl

Treating frogs is a very hard thing to do. today i treated my frog for the very first time. It's definitely hard to do when the frog is sitting in your hand and jumping around while you have to hold it still with your thumb ever so gently while swabbing its leg with a qtip.

18. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Depends on the frog. My Pacman was easy. He had a fugus too. It was a 10 minute soak in a solution, and then he went into a hospital tank. Repeat for 10 days.

19. California Cowgirl

lol wish my frog was that easy. And today was my first time holding my frog too, i've never touched a frog since today. I don't know how long im supposed to do this for but i think i'll do it as long as you did yours 10 days sounds like long enough, or until the fungus comes off, i haven't seen anymore of it in my 10 gallon. I feel so bad for my frog, he's in such a small tank carrier right now with nothing but water. i hope his fungus goes away fast.

20. California Cowgirl

Update: frog died this morning :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.