This Disappears When Logged In

African clawed frog pic

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Paige, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paige

Paige Elite Member

This is my African Clawed Frog. I got her at walmart...It was sold as a dwarf, but grew and ate my fish in the tank. I will never buy live critters from walmart again! She is cute though and always hungry lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Paige, we had a regular and an albino African Clawed Frog at one time. They were great to watch. My oldest son named them Kermit (green) and Miss Piggy (we were going through the Muppet Stage).

3. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

I had a pair of Albino African clawed frogs.

[​IMG]

They would wait until the feeder fish grew big and fat before devouring them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One day, I came home to discover the female clawed frog with the male clawed frog in her mouth. She had swallowed all but the legs. I tugged on the legs and pulled out the partially digested frog. :eek:

There was plenty of feeders in the tank so this cannibalistic act was not due to hunger. There was actually about four very large feeder goldfish and some minnows in the tank before I left my house that day. When I came back everything was gone. I ended up giving the cannibalistic frog to my sister who kept it in her preschool classroom.

[​IMG]

The frog eventually met her fate and died from overeating. My sister went on vacation and while she was gone the feeders grew large. Then the frog ate them. She stuffed herself to death.

Moral of the story; watch the intake because these frogs have no limits. Good luck.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What a cutie! Shes so chubby!! :D

5. The D

The D Mango Empress

wait... i'm sorry but hold up... walmart sells pets? OH DEAR LORD WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO?!?!?!?

6. Paige

Paige Elite Member

I didn't know that these frogs would eat each other! I was going to get a albino male to keep her company! Good thing I didn't do that! I also didn't know that they would eat themselves to death. Of course I did hear goldfish would do that....and come to think of it I had a beta that seemed to do that! I will have to watch it then. I usually feed her 6 med goldfish a week, but this last time I got 12 thinking that they would last longer! I hope she doesn't eat them all at once!

7. Paige

Paige Elite Member

OHHHH and when she eat> I can see the fish wiggling in her belly! It is something to see =) I wouldn't think the fish could live in her belly, but they seem to wiggle around for at least acouple minutes!

8. Paige

Paige Elite Member

The worst part is I lost all my tropical fish! I will get a larger one going again someday. ight now NO ROOM with everything else. I will just have to get my CARPENTER fiance to build me an addition so I can get more lol. I am still waiting for my indoor rabbit hutch though....so I will be waiting aLONG TIME :rolleyes: :)

Ssativa you have great pics! and thanks for the info BUT sorry that happened to you and your frog>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.