This Disappears When Logged In

Advice on Injured Eastern Box Turtles

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by ajvw, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Glad to hear turt #2 is doing better!! Definatley post pics once you pick her up!

2. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Here she is, all patched up and ready for release!

[​IMG]

We let her go in the woods and she promptly disappeared, so hopefully she's got a fighting chance to survive and breed some future year.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well you have definately given her a lot better head start than she would have had otherwise!
    And if you happen to see her again you will KNOW its her!

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

She does look alot better! Youve done a great thing for her :D

5. tchan1224

tchan1224 Active Member

Very good news!!

Are these two the same specie of box turtle? Which specie is that?

Isn't a concave plastron a sign for a male?

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Typically yes. Males will have either a flat or concave plastron, whereas females will have a flat or convex plastron. The concave plastron better allows the male to fit atop the female's domed shell, and the convex plastron of females allows for better egg carriage. It's not a sure thing though, just a guidline. Eastern box turtles such as these are extremely easy to sex though. Males are much brighter in coloration and have red eyes, while the females are dull with brown eyes. Males' heads are often larger in comparison with the rest of the body as well (further evidence that men are smarter than women ;)), and have much brighter and extensive patterning on the head. Females have a relatively plain head by comparison. Yay for sexual dimorphism :D

For comparison with the above female, this is a male eastern box turtle. His coloration is awfully vibrant even for his sex though.
    [​IMG]

7. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

You're right, tchan -- the second turtle was a male. My mistake! I'm a turtle newbie! (Actually, I'm a herp newbie all around...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.