This Disappears When Logged In

Advice For Iguana Enclosure

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by jonathan.piazza91, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Hello all,

I am new to this board. I am currently working on building an iguana enclosure. I will not be getting one until I have the enclosure I am working on completely finished and feel 100% comfortable that all environmental needs are met within the enclosure. My main question is what does everyone use for lighting and heating? My enclosure is 60"x48"x32". I know this will not be suitable for the entirety of the iguana's life, but should be plenty big enough for the first few years. The top of the cage will have a mezzanine area for storing the light fixtures. All of the lights will be resting on screening that is framed with plywood; I am hoping to cut the appropriate size holes into the wood to just fit the light fixtuers that area needed to keep my humidity and heat loss to a minimum. How many fixtures do most of you use to maintain heat at an appropriate temp throughout the entirety of a large arboreal cage? Do you use CHE, bulbs, etc? Also, what is the best option for UVB/UVA? I know ZooMed makes the ReptiSun tube light but are there alternatives anyone uses or prefers? Lastly, I am looking for misting and/or humidifier recommendations.
    Any and all help is appreciated. I am hoping to have this enclosure done in the next 2-4 weeks and then start getting it furnished appropriately. I want to have lights and humidity levels dialed in way before I even think about going to acquire a lizard.

Thanks!

Iguana Enclosure.jpg

2. Still open to lighting suggestions and tips :)
    Also, anybody have any opinions on a CWD over an iguana? I know they're two totally different lizards with different temperaments and care requirements, but I think both be good candidates for a cage this size. I know that I can provide the proper care requirements to either, but am interested in peoples opinions who have kept both or prefer one over the other. I know the biggest complaints with iguanas aside from their size and complex diet requirements is their attitudes.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

CWD, is going to take higher humidity so if you do go that route I would suggest some sort of heated basin in the bottom to keep the humidity elevated.