This Disappears When Logged In

Advice For First Cresties + Breeding Help

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by drifter2018, Mar 26, 2018.

1. drifter2018

drifter2018 Member

My girlfriend and I are moving into a house in June, and I decided to get a reptile once we move in. I've kept lizards in the past, but it's been a while, so I figured crested geckos would be a good choice since I'm a little rusty, due to their relatively simple needs, but also because I've read that they are fairly easy to breed as well. I wanted to breed lizards back when I kept them, but I never got around to it, and I figure now is a good a time as any. I figured I would purchase a male and a female, and keep them in a 20 gallon tank. I have a few old 10 gallons laying around that I figured would work well to acclimate them before introducing them in the same enclosure as well as to keep hatchlings in, but I don't know if 20 gallons will be enough space for two geckos. Also, I don't know if a pair can be raised and bred together, or if a mate needs to be introduced when trying to breed. If anyone could answer my questions and give me some advice, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Well I'll try and answer some of this, but bear in mind I have not actually bred cresties yet, this is just what I've learned from people I know who do breed them.
    First off, I'd look into the exo-terra cages, I like the 18x18x24 one for a single or maybe a couple cresties. If you try and cohabitate them you'll want separate feeding stations for each as they can be a bit territorial that way. Make sure you have adequate caging for each animal, as they may start not getting along even if they did previously. If I remember correctly they will need to be introduced into a neutral cage for breeding purposes if they are not being kept together. And I honestly can't remember whether it's bad to keep them together or not, hopefully someone else will chime in on that. I always kept mine seperately.

3. drifter2018

drifter2018 Member

Thanks. In that case, I'll probably buy one 18x18x24 and a single juvenile, and buy a second cage and an adult next winter. Also, I've read some care sheets that say they require lighting, and some that say it stresses them out. Could you shed some light on the matter?

4. Darkbird

They are naturally nocturnal, so you can get away with just ambient room lighting if you want, or add some lighting for viewing or plant growth purposes. They do require a day/night cycle, but that can come from whatever natural daylight filters into the room (do not leave the cage where it will get hit by direct sunlight). You can provide UV lighting if you want, but since they mostly shun bright light I would consider it a waste of money as they will almost never be exposed to it.

5. matthewgroskopf

matthewgroskopf Active Member

Can you send a pic of the enclosure if you have one?

6. drifter2018

drifter2018 Member

I own two 10 gallon long terrariums, but they are in Salt Lake City, and I'm currently in Cedar City. I will be purchasing a new enclosure, likely an Exo Terra.

7. drifter2018

drifter2018 Member

I see, would I be able to use a low wattage bulb for heating, or would a heating pad be more suitable? It can get pretty cold where I live, and we plan on keeping the house at a constant 70 degrees.

8. Darkbird

I'd get a ceramic heat emitter instead of any type of regular bulb, they emit no light and last way longer. But I think I would just get a heat pad and stick to the side of the cage and a thermostat to keep it from getting too hot. 70° is on the low side, but these guys actually do fine if not a bit better with cooler temps.

Edit: I should add that parts of my old house would get down as low as 65° some nights in the winter, and it never caused my cresteds any issues, and I never had extra heat on them. They were in a room with a lot of other cages though, so it got warmer during the day.

9. drifter2018

drifter2018 Member

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.