This Disappears When Logged In

Adult Red Ear Slider Need Help

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Gog, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gog

Gog New Member

I have a female ( i presume) red earred slider.. i have had her for two years and i got her from a friend .. at that time she was in a 15 gallon tank and has naturally continuously outgrew every tank i have gotten. She is now in a 65 gallon tank. She seems happy but she looks almost to be out growing this tank as well. And for me she ahs gotten past the point of being able to handle her sadly enough.. i love her as a turtle. She has loads of personality and is very efficient at catching her feeder fish i get for her.. I believe it is time for her to be in an outdoor pond.. However living in Canada i wonder if she would survive the harsh winter outdoors after living her life constantly in an aquarium. I have friends who have an outdoor pond and she can live there for the summer.. But i need to know if she will survive the winter.. The pond will freeze over.. And i dont want to put her out if she will die.. However i cna't keep her.. I live in an apartment and dont' hvae ability to make outdoor pond for her.. If an yone can help me with this please feel free to respond. Adoptions too a good home at my expense are also acceptable. Remember i live in canada and if any responses out of country please say so if wanting to adopt. I will need to contact customs to see how to do this. THank you..

2. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

as long as the turtle itself does not freeze it should be fine. They will hibernate (brumate) at the bottom of the pond in the leaves and other debris that you will need to put on the bottom. Make sure that RES are native to your area. If not, then it WILL NOT be able to survive the winter because it is too cold for them.

here's a link to a good site, check out the hibernation section www.resoasis.com

3. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

i dont know how it will do in teh winter but is there a barrier around the pond? to keep the turtle in and predators out?

4. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

Where in Canada are you located? I'm in southern BC and can take her if you want. I will be putting mine out in the pond by the middle of April, can't wait :) They winter in the house.

5. Gog

Gog New Member

Response to Esbat

Hello. I am responding to your request to take my RES for your pond.. I think this would be a great idea.. she is full grown and ready to be outdoor in a pond... I can give you my msn or another email to contact directly.. My msn is sandgina@msn.com and my other email is dancomeau1@rogers.com.. I am willing to pay for full cost of whatever it takes to safely get her to your place.. Thanks i live in Ontario

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.