This Disappears When Logged In

Adult Crested Eating Substrate Instead Of Food And Other Questions

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by lazybonesjones, Jun 21, 2018.

1. lazybonesjones

lazybonesjones New Member

Hi,

I'm new and my apologies if this is posted in the wrong spot. I have recently been left with an adult crested gecko, I think he's maybe 5 or 6. He was dropped off by my ex for me to "gecko sit" but then I got a text saying they weren't coming back for him. His tank really really needs to be cleaned, and he looks pretty skinny from what I can tell by looking at pictures of other geckos on the internet. I'll be going to the store today to get some new stuff for his tank. I have some powdered crested gecko diet to feed him, but he wont eat it. I bought crickets the other day and he wont eat those either, but I have seen him eating the substrate on the bottom of his tank a few times. It's kind of like dirt I guess. He seems super skittish, he wont let me touch him and panics, hides, and breaths heavy whenever I open his tank to spray or feed him, and I'm trying to figure out how to clean his tank without stressing him out more. He's in a fairly large tall tank. Should I put in a different substrate? Is there something I should be feeding him instead that will stop him from eating the dirt? Is there a way I can get him out of his tank to clean it that wont stress him out so much? Poor little guy.
    Thanks in advance

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I would just be quick and gentle getting it into a holding container, shouldn't be too bad on stress that way, and then get the cage cleaned and set back up. As for it eating substrate, it's probably eco-earth or something similar, and are you sure it is eating it and not just tasting around with its tongue? And do you know what it was eating before? It may also just be getting used to then new surrounding still and may not want to eat yet.