This Disappears When Logged In

Adult Corn Snake Not Eating And Losing Weight

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Nathan Guerrero, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Hi everyone,

So, I have an adult corn snake (I don't know her exact age because I adopted her), and she hasn't eaten in at least a month, if not more (I lost track). I've been offering food to her weekly, but she won't take anything. And now she's practically a skeleton with very little muscle. She still acts normal, aside from not eating, although she is a little more prone to biting, probably because she's hungry.

I had a similar problem with one of my female leopard geckos who was laying eggs constantly after one breeding, and eventually she wouldn't eat at all; she was so thin, and I was really worried. However, she started eating again after I gave her a few doses of reptiboost (that powdered food you mix with water), and she got back to normal.

Anyway, based on what I saw, I'm thinking that now, my corn snake won't eat because she is so thin, although I don't see how that would make much sense. I can't afford to go to a vet, so I need some major help here... Should I try to give her some reptiboost? If so, can I use the syringe that comes with it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Tell us exactly how you are housing it. Temps humidity...as many details as possible.
    How big is the snake.
    And what are you feeding and how often.
    Being skinny will not keep a snake from eating. Can you put up pictures of the cage as well as the snake?

3. Here is a picture of the cage (although it doesn't have a light bulb right now; it blew out...). Temps are slightly cooler than I would want them to be, but they should still be sufficient. Temps are approx. 85-87 degrees under the hot hide. Also, just so you know, my room has been getting pretty warm because of the outside heat, so it should be somewhat higher right now. The humidity (which has been the same for the three years I've had her) is the same as the humidity of my room.
    I'm guessing that she's anywhere from 4ft to 4.5ft. Before she stopped eating, I was feeding her regular adult mice every week or week and a half (if I ran out).

Attached Files:

4. The pic is just of the tank; it was taken when I first got her (nothing has changed except for the light). I can't get a pic of her right now, but I will take one as soon as I get home.

5. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

How large is the tank? How long and how wide? Please provide current pics of your snake. How are you measuring your temps?

6. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Any chance she might have gotten a cool down period a couple/few months ago? Does she seem restless?

7. Actually, I left a mouse in her tank under the hot side hide, and I looked and saw it was gone! I guess she was just fasting or something... Not exactly sure what really caused it, but I'm just glad she's stopped fasting. Thank you for replying to my post.