This Disappears When Logged In

Adopted a Veil Cham

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by gr33n, Nov 2, 2011.

1. gr33n

gr33n Active Member

Guy at work gave me his veiled chameleon today. His wife wanted it gone. Has proper UVB, basking. Need to build a cage. It's in a wire mesh 2x2x2. Guessing it's about 10-12 months?? Been reading up on them and think i can handle it pretty easy. Plan on making a 4ft high cage by 2ft by 2ft.

Let the fun begin. Got a drip system in mind and my humidifier in stand by.

I know these creatures get stressed super quick. Would it be a bad idea if inout this cage in my iguana cage for the proper heat and humidity, just keep my iguana outta site of Waldo the chameleon??

Iguana is in a 3x4x3 cage.

Thinking since it's not a wire mesh cage this would be a bad idea due to the proper ventilation needed to prevent respiratory issues.

It was either get Cham today or he release it in the 40 degree weather tonight.

Thinking about this wire mesh cage. Inputs??

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V3WXM8...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001V3WXM8

2. SublimeShine

SublimeShine Well-Known Member

yes the mesh is recommended i have been told and read. but as long as there's ventilation u r fine. i have my veiled in a glass tank, but with a screen lid and screen side doors. so the only glass is the front and the back. helps to keep in heat and humidity tooo. careful veiling!

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are you asking? That question made no sense.

4. gr33n

gr33n Active Member

Sorry was typing on iPad. Asking if it was ok to place wire mesh cage in my iguanas cage. But I answered my own question. The chameleon needs proper air flow. My ig cage is perfect for him, but not what's needed for the Cham.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not to mention that an iguana would scare the dickens out of the cham!

6. gr33n

gr33n Active Member

Yeah. I put myself in place of the ig. Should have my 24x24x48 wire mesh cage in a few days.

He is a fascinating creature.

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Don't place them together, one or the other could also have a parasite you're not aware of and get the other sick. Chams are work but awesome little creatures. Leave it alone as best as you can till it adjusts. Also they do need calcium with d3 aswell as other supplements. Gut load crickets, I use the same stuff I feed my igg. Give it places for hiding lots of vegetation and climbing areas. Do you know if you have a female or a male. Females will lay eggs without males (unfertile). Dripper good but spray aswell. Try to use warm water (when sparying) because water even at room temp seems to scare them more. If you feed it around the same time and place in the cage they learn their routine well. They don't care to be handled much but all chams are different. Respect its preference and it'll get use to you over time. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

8. gr33n

gr33n Active Member

I have a 24x24x48 wire mesh cage coming. So I will keep separate. I will leave him alone. Finally figured he is a male. Extra thumb like on rear toes. Have proper vitamins for him and I'm aware of gut loading. Gonna get my dripper going tomorrow. I'm misting 4 times in same spot until then. Have humidifier as well not below 60%. Basking temp 90-95 ambient temps 80-90. Evening temps drop about a good 10-13 degrees. No intentions on getting him outnlike imdo with the iguana.

Previous owner said he is approximate 9-10 months old which I doubt. He's about 6" from snout to beginning of tail.

Gonna get some live trees for him. Have a list on what's good and what's not.

Glad threre is a lot of info!!