This Disappears When Logged In

Adopted A "komodo Dragon" - Turned Out To Be A Baby Sav

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by CTU2fan, Jun 18, 2015.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Though I was a bit in suspense wondering what it might be. One of my wife's coworkers' son apparently got him/her from the flea market and quickly lost interest, and since everyone she works with knows her husband is a reptile guy she asked my wife it we wanted this Komodo Dragon. Of course I did...though I expected maybe a bearded dragon, maybe an iguana.

Anyway home she comes with this little guy in one of those critter keeper things with a heating pad. Jet black with white spots and thin, I knew it was a monitor but I wasn't 100% sure what kind with that color and body build. I'll post a few pics later, they're in my phone, but he's really putting on weight and growing. Also he loves to climb which I didn't really expect, my old sav wasn't much of a climber. He'd bask on a log or rock. But I gave this guy a few branches and he climbs a lot and occasionally sleeps on a branch, though when he sleeps at night it's always in a burrow.

Also...he eats. A lot. Well he's kind of slowed down a little but at first I was worried about how thin he was, but that didn't last long. He's been taking crickets, superworms, and dubias. The issue he has is he doesn't much like his supplements. He'll eat a dusted bug if he's really hungry, but he's very hesitant. The other day I offered a fuzzy which he was very enthusiastic about, so I'm thinking I'll supplement him that way with the occasional vertebrate prey now that he's big enough (I knew he was big enough to take a pinky, but pinkies are kind of useless IMO nutritionally).

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

LOL, yea you never know what you're getting sometimes. It shows you how much of a clue some people don't have.
    Just throwing this out there but I'm sure you already know. Give him good heat and humidity with all that food and he'll grow like a weed.
    With whole food likes rodents don't worry about the supplements too much.

murrindindi likes this.
  3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

He has a few basking options, topping out around 130F, he usually basks around 120f for awhile and otherwise prowls around like a tiny ape predator.

He soaks a lot, which ki o surprises me. Humidity is in the 60% range, and I keep the soil pretty damp over part of the cage to give him some options so h isn't too dry. But he's in the water quite a bit. H of course craps in the water, which makes cleaning simpler.

First pic is the day after we got him, second is a couple weeks later.

Attached Files:

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a couple of photos up of the whole enclosure and give details of the type and wattage of the heat/lighting?
    He/she looks much better. Out of interest, the hatchlings/juveniles especially are quite good climbers, the adults do to a somewhat lesser extent.
    Edit: You can offer vertebrate prey (including rodents) on a regular basis without fear of the monitor becoming overweight, at this stage they grow very quickly and will use all the energy you offer (normally they`ll average around 2 to 3 + inches growth per month).

5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I have 2 75W halogen floods on there, and a heat mat on the warm end for a little supplemental night heat, though he never sleeps there, he usually digs a little hole under his branches and sleeps there. He also doesn't use that hide box (well he occasionally climbs on it to bask, but he doesn't go in).

Pardon the fish tank, it's very temporary, I have a pvc cage built, waiting for silicone to cure. This winter's project is a permanent home for him, something in the 10x5 range I what I'm shooting for.

These pics are from today. He's getting longer but he's also really putting on mass. When I got him he felt like an anole, very slight. Now...he's not.

Attached Files:

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, thanks for the pics. I think it would help if you covered the screen top as completely as possible, you are losing much heat and humidity.
    Another thing that should help the monitor to acclimate is to cover the back and sides with something such as thin plywood, or cardboard/other on the outside, but check the temps as they will surely rise. I would expect that you will not need so much wattage once you do that. I would remove the undertank heater, if you need supplementary nighttime heat use either a CHE or infrared bulb. I recommend a minimum temp day and night of approx 24c (75f). I take it you measure the temps and humidity range digitally, and by the way, how big is this tank in cm or inches?
    Edit: How deep is the substrate?

7. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

Lights need to be ideally with-in the enclosure, use a square piece of ply to set the basking light up, this gives a more stable basking site.

Lay those branches around the basking site to give more protection so it can bask in more security, also stick a tub of sandy soil in there with some cork bark down the sides, so it can dig into more humid areas and hide, another couple of branches propped up will allow your monitor to get up there.

As already suggested cover the side, but the most important part is seal that humidity in. If you have a tub in there (SANDY/SOIL) you better with a background temp of 80f, also 4 or 5 " of soil on the bottom will allow your monitor to dig in to cooler 75f temps, as they get bigger needs to be deeper.

Then you need to plan for your bigger final cage! :) goodluck! :)