This Disappears When Logged In

Ackie Not Eating?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Biggle, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Biggle

Biggle Member

Hey guys, so my ackie had been living in a glass viv for almost a year, and I recently moved him into a new, custom build viv. I admit that the husbandry in his older tank was not as good as it could have been, so I've been trying to make this new tank as comfortable as possible for him. The old tank was about 3x1.5x1.5 feet, and the substrate was 4 inch deep eco earth. The basking spot in his old tank was about 120F, and humidity typically stuck around 30-40% at the most do to the screen lid.

His new tank is 4x2x3 feet tall, with a play sand and eco earth substrate mix that is about 8 inches deep. His basking spot is 140F, with ambient temps on the cool side usually being 80F on thermometer, 75F with the temp gun, and on the warm side the ambient temps are 80 down by the soil and 90 higher up in the tank on the thermometer and 80F with the temp gun. Humidity sticks to around 70-80% depending on if I've opened the front recently.

In his old tank, he was always a voracious eater when I threw in crickets, typically eating 20-30 a day. Don't know if this is correlated, but once winter started approaching he started to eat far less, averaging 5 crickets a day. I moved him into the new tank on November 11th, and added some new decor to it like some fake plants and a cork flat on November 19th. The first few days in the new tank he ate maybe 2 crickets a day, and pooped every other day, but since then he has eaten nothing. I've been putting crickets in a deep bowl in his tank like I have since the beginning, but all he does is occasionally give them a sideways glance. Other than that he has been completely normal other than sleeping a bit more than usual. He has been sprinting around, jumping, and exploring, using his retes stack, but he has not eaten. He is a little over a year old. I'm really worried about him, and I hope one of you have answers for me. I'll post pictures of his current viv. Thank you in advance.

91170b0e-0ead-49fc-bb62-1d617f67062d213061123.jpg
    eefd5759-5632-4fd5-9d21-902219d6d50d-1252407262.jpg

The fake rock in the back with the water bowl on it has always been his "burrow" of choice, since it is hollow in the inside and I believe it holds humidity quite well. In the bottom right is a wooden half cylinder hide that is partially buried.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the lack of appetite is probably due to the stress of the move, it can take a few weeks to acclimate to the new enclosure.
    Where is the hygrometer positioned?

3. Biggle

Biggle Member

I've moved it around to different areas to see if there are different readings in different spots, but it's usually on the back wall in the center

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You need to position it lower down, a few inches above the substrate. I assume it`s a digital hygrometer?

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Does he create burrows? Where does he sleep?
    The new enclosure is much better. The low humidity levels in the first habitat probably did a number on him.

6. Biggle

Biggle Member

Hi, apologies for the later response. The ackie is still not eating. The Hygrometer is not digital. I've moved it down right by the substrate and it seems to stick around 85%. Oddly enough, Kriminaal, he does not seem very interested in burrowing. The new substrate seems perfect for burrowing, and I've even tried making tiny burrows in the soil myself, to see if he'll become interested and finish digging it, but he's not having any of it. The only "burrowing" he really does is digging out the entrance to his favorite hide.

In regards to sleeping, he'll usually either sleep in his rete's stack, or in his plastic cave. The cave has a small hole on the bottom, I assume from the process they used to make it and not actually intended for the main hangout area, that lets him crawl into the hollow inside of the cave rock. This has usually been his main sleeping spot, as he had it in his old tank as well. I'm wondering if perhaps moisture is coming up off the soil underneath the entrance and into the cave, maybe making it similar to one of their burrows?

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I would agree. Burrowing is them digging down to a humidity level that they are looking for.
    In Australia I believe it is quite dry on the surface hence the need for burrowing.
    It could be like Stefan said and he is getting used to the new surroundings yet. They will sacrifice food over security.
    Or it could be he is dehydrated from the previous habitat and needs to get hydrated before eating again.
    They can go quite some time without food. I had a varanus tristis that seemed to hate his new habitat and went nearly 2 months before eating and you couldn't even tell.
    Unfortunately time will tell.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, if the hygrometer is analogue there`s a good chance it`s quite inaccurate, which means you/we have no idea what the ambient temps and humidity ranges are, you need a digital device asap, I believe you can buy them in Walmart or Lowes for around $13 (if you`re in America).

kriminaal likes this.
  9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, I couldn`t edit the above reply; you also need to check the substrate temps from the enclosure floor to the surface throughout the enclosure, the minimum should not be below approx 24c (75f).

10. Biggle

Biggle Member

Sounds good, I'll look into a new digital hygrometer/thermometer. What would be the best way to measure the temperatures of the substrate itself?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can use the Temp-gun, just push it down into the substrate. Just to reiterate, a digital hygrometer is absolutely urgent.

12. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Hope everything gets sorted out here, Biggle. You are getting the best possible help!
    Can we see some pics of your monitor if it's convenient?

13. Biggle

Biggle Member

Ordered a digital hygrometer/thermometer, should be here in roughly 2 days or so. I'm not worried about the humidity being too low at the moment, as when I open the tank it feels like I just plunged facefirst into a rainforest but I absolutely do need a more accurate thermometer/hygrometer as you said, so it's on the way! Will check substrate temps and take some pictures of him when he's awake!