This Disappears When Logged In

Ackie Monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Wyatt-Sponagle, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I got a new young yellow ackie monitor and so far things are pretty good. There were only a few things I was curious about when ot comes to care and most the answers I find vary.

1. Night time temperatures, I've read on some articles that they should sit in the 70s but I've also heard that because Ackies come from an Arid environment that the temperature at night can safely drop into the 60s. Anyone know which of these is the safer way to or what the pros and cons are to both?

2. D3 or no D3? Once again I've read different things from different people. The previous owner of my little guy only gave him a supplement without D3, but I've alsp read articles that state it should be given in moderation and then some say always include a supplement with D3. Any suggestions on which works best for Ackies?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the nighttime temps in the coolest parts (including below ground) should not fall below approx. 70f). Just because the air temps cool down during the night in some parts of their wild range, the retreats they choose will normally retain some heat.
    It`s doubtful you have a true "yellow" acanthurus because the subspecies have been crossed to such an extent in America, at least.
    Can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure and give details of the conditions, also, do you have an idea of gender?
    Supplements are mostly pure guesswork, some of no benefit, if you`re concerned about D3 levels you would be advised to use a decent UVB emitting tube such as the Zoo-Med or Arcadia HO (high output) @ 10-0 or 12-0 fitted with a reflector at the recommended distance from the animal (it only needs to be approx. 2/3rds the enclosure length).

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  3. I'm not sure of gender yet, because the little guy is still very young and not yet comfortable with me handling him/her yet. Since I just picked him up last Friday he's been staying in a 24x18x18 exo terra tank. He has about 3 inch deep substrate, I mixed the exo terra plantation soil with Zoo med forest floor bedding. His basking temperature last I checked was sitting at 122.3 degrees F. The temperature on the warm end of the enclosure is high 80s and cool side last checked was mid 70s. I will be making a trip to my local reptile store soon as well to order a custom build tank which I will have made to 48"x24"x24"

Attached Files:

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photo, everything I say is to help you help the monitor, no disrespect intended... The screen topped tank is not suitable other than very, very temporarily with some modifications. You need to cover the whole top as completely as possible, kitchen foil will work for the time being, that will create a "self contained" environment where you`ll be able to stabilse both heat and humidity to a much greater extent (this is urgent, as in right now). Once you do that you`ll need to recheck temps, etc...
    I would recommend a minimum size for one adult of 5L x 2.5W x 2.5 to 3H (feet)...
    How are you measuring the humidity range and what is it, also what type and wattage are the heat/light bulbs?

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  5. Awesome I really do appreciate your advice, anything to make things better for my Ackie. I was currently using 2 pieces of plexiglass to cover the side of the enclosure that doesn't have the light fixtures but I'm now going to add kitchen foil.
    For the night time heating to ensure that temperatures don't drop below 70 degrees which heating device would you recommend for night heating

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Either a CHE or an infrared bulb if the ambient temps fall below approx. 70f. Wattage will depend on room (and obviously the enclosure) temps.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You have to understand that sexual maturity can happen in a few short months, and if you have a female she`ll require suitable nesting, that should be in place almost from the beginning, at least from the juvenile stage.

8. It had crossed mt mind that if I do have a female then I will need an area for her to nest. Any unique requirements or advice that I should know about if and when I establish a nesting area for my ackie?

9. You also probably noticed that I currently have 2 hides inside his enclosure. 1 under the heat lamp and one on the cooler side of the tank. Is that ideal for younger monitors? I want to make sure that he/she has areas that make him/her feel secure but I also want to make sure my animal is socialized well.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The best way is to have the whole of the floor space as a nesting area rather than a particular small spot. The substrate would need to be around 10 to 12 inches deep and heated to the mid 80`s F.
    There is a non invasive technique for determining gender although without experience it may be difficult to distinguish, give me 5 mins I`ll put a link up...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...o1_Brown.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0DU9_Xi6XokhtDu-V4e8lr

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You need to provide much cover so that the monitor can feel secure.

12. Awesome, I'm will be increasing the substrate deepth in the current enclosure and I will also ensure that my larger enclosure can support a 10-12" deep layer.
    If my Ackie allows me to handle him/her I will definitely attempt the HTI technique.