This Disappears When Logged In

Ackie Monitor Questions.

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Arow16, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

yeah I'm just trying to find a tube bulb but I don't see any besides that. Would there be any issues with placing a regular bulb in terms of reach? (across a 6 foot enclosure)

2. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

All uv bulbs or tube lights have a certain distance to be effective. The distance for maximum effectiveness will be stated in the product description. Something you could do if your cage height is too tall to work with an attached light fixture is to add some climbing branches or logs so that there is a way for your ackies to get closer to the lights (if I'm understanding you correctly, apologies if I'm not). Arcadia sells uv tubes as well and does ship within the US. Might be worth checking their website. Myself, I am in Canada so I have to go to resellers of these products

3. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Exactly what I need.

I think either Natural Sunlight Lamp - Arcadia Reptile or
    D3+ Desert Lamp - Arcadia Reptile

first is
    • 2.4% UVB
    • 10% UVA
    second is
    • 12% UVB
    • 30% UVA

I think the first is suppose to simulate natural sunlight. Thoughts?

4. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

5. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

6. Lori68

That would be just fine. Most lights specify a maximum distance of around 18", so you'd still be able to put some branches that add height to allow your ackies to climb up to reach it more if they choose to

7. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Alright awesome. Just want to make sure its not to much since there's a warning about using to much on the site.

Speaking of wood. Any recommendations for places to purchase a bundle of wood suited for them to climb?

8. Lori68

Its always best to follow the manufacturers recommendations, so if you have the chance to contact arcadia help center, they'd be able to direct you to the best light to use in your cage. As for wood, I haven't bought anything myself other than cork bark. Branches and leaf litter always gets collected from outdoors. The only thing I ever check for is ants, but any other type of bugs I don't worry about. I see a log or branch I like that hasn't been claimed by any other crazy reptile person, its going in the back of my car and straight into one of the reptile cages :)

9. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Would you have any recommendations for a good clean up crew for a wood enclosure that the ackies are in? Wanna make it bioactive but not sure if any clean up crews have some downsides with ackies or would chew on the wood.

10. Lori68

I occasionally collect local isopods from my yard but because they aren't tropical, they don't seem to last too long in the warmer conditions inside the cage...but I do it anyway. I would recommend tropical species of isopods and springtails as a start but the substrate needs to have some moisture to it for them to stay alive so you do need to keep the soil from drying out. Because I also collect leaf litter (which also helps substrate retain moisture when its the top layer to your soil) and logs/branches from outside, I sometimes pick up wood mites or soil mites as well. Those kinds of critters are a good start. These types of bugs don't eat away at the wooden cage if you've used some type of sealant on your enclosure...which hopefully you have otherwise you'll have a rotten cage from just moisture alone, they eat the leaves and wood or bark accessories inside, not the wood that has sealant on it.

Come to think if it, I have a cherry tree branch that is around 5 years old in my savannah monitor cage that is still kicking around. Its got holes bored into it from superworms, probable moisture rot and being a wood mite buffet but its still part of a log that is laying on the ground as something to climb over and just a general visual break to help make it look not so plain on the cage floor. It pretty much looks like the kind of branch you'd find on the ground in a forest that has been slowly breaking down over time. These things take a long time to degrade....unless you have termites ;)

Attached Files:

11. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

I have plexiglass between the wood and dirt. Would springtails and tropical isopods be the best bet to stay away from the wood? the bottom two feet have the plexi but not the top. The top is coated in a polyurethane. There is a couple inches of glass above the dirt.

Also, does my monitor look a little darker on his back. Maybe a slight burn? I have been having trouble bringing down basking temps. The room they are in is hot. I keep downgrading wattage and thought I had it down to 130-140 but read a temp of 16oish today. Does it look to bad? I immediately got him/her into a povidone iodine bath. Hoping it'll heal with these baths.

Do all ackies have a little crevasse around the top of their tail?

Attached Files:

12. Lori68

No that doesn't look like a burn, not to me and that indentation near the base of the tail is totally normal too. That's just muscle definition showing through. The dark streak down his back is just colouration, like a pattern developing. That's what it looks like to me. Burns will look a little bit more angry, inflamed and splotchy. This is also looking too evenly distributed all the way down the back to be a burn. So long as he has a cool end to get away from the heat, 130 or 140 is absolutely fine. The ambient air temps may be a bit too hot. Lots of Florida people have the issue of how to keep the basking temps up when its so stinking hot in the entire house, so they switch off their lights earlier. I've even heard one guy begin to do the opposite time frame for lights on/off. He'd turn the lights on at night and turn them off during the day.

13. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

okay you sure? The first photo shows some sort of injury just above his tail. Like an indented area.

And so tropical isopods and springtails good for my setup?

14. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

The indented line down the back and tail is perfectly normal, and I'm not seeing anything even close to an injury. As was said, this is normal muscle/fat deposit definition, and simply shows a healthy animal. As for your basking temps, 130-140 is what your looking for, and I had some hatchlings using a 160+ area that I hadn't realized I created. So long as they have cooler areas to retreat to they will be fine. Your also going to want to check your soil temps below the surface, since they will sometimes use the burrows as a place to retreat to. As for branches, all mine come from outside for free. I just hose them off to remove any unwanted bugs and in the cage they go. Can't really advise on the clean up crew, never bothered to buy any yet, between the hitchhikers I bring in on branches and leaves and whatnot, and the natural bacteria that is going to happen in this type of setup, I've never had a need.

Lori68 likes this.
  15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I just want to mention that in the wild V. acanthurus will bask at over 160f, it`s a perfectly acceptable basking surface temp for this species in captivity.
    I agree about the "indentation" being normal, if the vertebrae were very visible it would indicate undernourished, perhaps ill health.

Darkbird and Lori68 like this.
  16. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Good to know. At the time, I had been told to shoot for around 135f for my hatchlings, and part of their basking area was a random tangle of branches I had piled up, which they seemed to love. Spot checking the temps of where they would actually lay at found the extra hotspot, but I left it alone, and some of them would use it regularly.

17. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Hey wantdd to message you privately but couldn't.

Would you have more information on products that would produce the light I need for this? I have some things I can try but I do not want to go buy a bunch of lights I do not need. :) Let me know!