This Disappears When Logged In

Ackie Monitor Questions.

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Arow16, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Hello All,

I had a few questions.

I am trying to diversify my two monitors diet and add in some ground turkey and eggs.

How would you prepare those? Like is ground turkey fine being served raw to them? Should I cook the turkey? How should I give them chicken eggs?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, stick to whole prey whether invert or vertebrate, no need for turkey/other mixes or lean meats.

Lori68 likes this.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

If you want to diversify the diet, look for more types of bugs to give them, the turkey is just pointless without supplements, and those are pure guesswork and potentially harmful if given in excess. Mine get crickets and roaches as a staple, along with whatever other bugs I can pick up at the local show, usually superworms, horn worms, a few wax worms once in a while, and so on. The crickets and roaches are usually gut loaded and I very occasionally dust the crickets with a multivitamin, just hoping to cover a little of anything I might be missing. Mine also gets African soft fur fuzzies since I breed them and that's then only rodent I have found they can easily swallow other than mouse pinks, with are nutritionally deficient. And the rodents are more like treats than a large portion of the diet.

Lori68 likes this.
  4. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Hi guys thanks for the reply,

My two ackies had a fight so I had to take them to the vet (they're now separated), but the vet recommended I diversify their diet with things like eggs, ground turkey and maybe pinkies. Right now I use roaches and crickets as a staple and that's pretty much the extent of what I feed them. I just want to make sure they're growing normally (I believe one is 45 grams and the other is 47 grams and they are both roughly 5-7 months old).

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can offer quail eggs on occasion (better raw).
    Can you show a few photos of the enclosures and give details of the conditions?

6. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Yea I posted pics in a post a few months ago. Ill post the enclosure in the current conditions. I have a divider in the middle temporarily while I fix up a second enclosure (same dimensions as the one shown in the pic). Usually both Halogen bulbs are on the right side of the enclosure, not at each end.

The enclosure is 72" L x 31" W x 48" H. There is room for 24" of substrate. The basking temps are around 130-140F. The lowest temps away from the halogen bulbs are low to mid 70s. I mist once daily. The humidity usually holds in the 70-80% range. There is about 15 inches of depth for the top soil. I also have a shop light on during the day. I forget what the number is, but its the closest bulbs I could find at Home Depot/Lowes to daylight. Feel free to give me even the smallest of criticism. I want to make sure I am taking care of them the best I can.

Attached Files:

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I like the enclosure very much although it would be even better if the monitor/s could make more use of the above ground space... Do you have any idea of gender of them both? Edit: Do you have a reasonably accurate length measurement of the monitors?

8. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Sorry for delayed reply.

I will have more stuff above ground once I move in a few weeks. To early to tell the gender.

I would say the monitors are roughly 12 inches head to end of tail.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

This species can go from egg to egg in 6 months or slightly less, meaning they could already be sexually mature (sexual maturity is more to do with size than age).

10. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Well we took a look a week ago at the vet and she said she could not tell. Although she was not an expert on this type of monitor.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How did the vet check gender?

12. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay, been going through a stressful move. I do not remember how she checked. Any advice on checking? Also, one of them lost a nail (not a toe). Not sure how. They were not shedding so I don't think it was a stuck shed and I have kept my humidity levels up. Will the nail regrow?

13. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

If the nail didn't rip out completely (as in the root is still intact), it should grow back in time.

One way to determine gender on ackies is to look at the vent scales. Males will have much larger ones near the vent than females, as well as being much harder to the touch. Being able to determine gender is not something one can do until the monitor matures though, but just based on what age you say they are at, it sounds like they are at that "coming of age" stage enough for you to try your hand at determining it. It also sounds like you have 2 males on your hands as well. This is the exact same thing that happened to me. I got a really young pair and they both ended up being male. Because of that I too had to seperate them since they'd be constantly fighting with each other...males are very territorial. Here is a picture of the vent area of both my males when they were around a year old. The scales that fan out on either side of the vent are the ones I'm talking about.

IMG_3413.JPG IMG_3411.JPG

14. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

I will try post some photos when my phone is charged. Hard to tell though. Also, for the nail, I do not see any remnants of nail. Does that mean the root is gone?

15. Lori68

No, its the part of the nail that isn't visible. My ackie has ripped off a significant part of his nail once or twice before, almost completely right off by the looks of it once. My guess is he did that during his crazy ackie stunts while trying to climb something and he got stuck to the point he tore his nail. I don't have anything in his enclosure that would cause injury. Just cork bark, logs, dirt and rocks. His nail grew back in time, it just took a while

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Again I would say they are big enough to be sexually mature (it has nothing much to do with age) you might try the transillumination technique for determining gender, I`ll put a link up...
    As Lori68 has mentioned the claw should grow back, it will take a few months.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwikqvutnsDcAhXRWsAKHZtoCyIQFjAAegQIABAC&url=http://varanidae.org/Vol3_No1_Brown.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0DU9_Xi6XokhtDu-V4e8lr

17. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Last two pics are the same lizard. Let me know if you guys can see based on these images.

Also, any recommendations for a misting system? Enclosure size is roughly 6'x2.5'x4' (2 feet above substrate).

Attached Files:

18. Lori68

Kind of looks like both are females, but I'm viewing on my small phone screen at the moment. I'll take another look when I can at home. Hopefully others will offer their opinions as well in the meantime

19. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

20. Lori68

Zoo med bulbs are kind of low end to be honest. In terms of uv output. Can you find either mega ray or acradia bulbs? Those are actually a bit cheaper and produce a better uv spectrum. I myself use mega ray, which cost about half the price of zoo meds.

kriminaal likes this.