This Disappears When Logged In

Ackie Monitor Questions!

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Arow16, Feb 12, 2018.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If I`d known you intended to use a trough for the substrate I would never have mentioned lining anything with the FRP (oops)! Edit: I also have no idea why two photos of the same subject (my large male) came up???

2. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Not your fault! I am just happy I do not have to worry about that part anymore. No clue! What kind of monitor is he though? :D

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

He`s a Varanus salvator macromaculatus (Asian water monitor) they can get over 270cm, he`s just over 240cm now
    026.JPG .

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Dang I like that shot, looking nice.

5. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I agree, that is a gorgeous monitor! Makes me wish I had the space and money for a proper monitor habitat.

6. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Final product! Once I move, the dirt/sand will go up to the top of the trough. Gotta add some things to the enclosure though for hiding and whatever else so give me some recommendations! IMG_20180225_205421.jpg IMG_20180225_205415.jpg IMG_20180225_205406.jpg

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Wow, looking good. You might need a ceramic heat emitter on the cool side.
    I would suggest half hollow logs for hiding or just pieces of plywood for him to burrow under.
    Eventually put some shelves for climbing on the sides. This also gives more choices for thermo regulation.

murrindindi likes this.
  8. Darkbird

More light. Looks like you would have plenty of room to mount an LED shop light in there, which are relatively cheap and available at many places. That would do a ton to brighten the interior up. Also, some branches screwed to the side of the cage at all different heights and positions would provide a ton of climbing activity. Just make sure that there are no pinch points where the occupants can get a tail caught. Otherwise looks very nice, a few more tweaks andnyoull have an outstanding cage setup.

murrindindi and kriminaal like this.
  9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, sorry but I must agree with the other members, the enclosure`s looking very good, well done for listening and acting on the advise offered (apart from using FRP to line the bottom parts).... ;)

10. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Does it matter on ceramic heat emitter vs. LED shop light?

11. kriminaal

The ceramic heat emitter (on a rheostat) is to keep the base temperature up. Depending on the room however, you might not need it. It's for heat only.
    LED shop light is just for overall lighting. Monitors like lots of bright light.

12. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

IR gun reads no lower than 73F in the enclosure. Should I get the ceramic heat emitter to bring that up? Or is mid 70's as the low temp fine?

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I only want to mention that you need to check the substrate temps throughout the enclosure (and right to the bottom) although being a new build it will take some time to heat through.

14. kriminaal

That's a good base temperature.

Arow16 likes this.
  15. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

How would I check the temperature of the bottom?

16. kriminaal

You can drill a small hole at bottom of trough and insert a temperature probe or push one to the bottom from top.
    It's nice to keep one in there to monitor the substrate temps.
    I would suggest the hole near bottom. Wires inside can be moved or nicked when the monitor is digging.

Arow16 likes this.
  17. Darkbird

And put said hole on the cool end of the cage, that way you'll be checking what should be the coldest part of the cage.

Arow16 likes this.
  18. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Any 2 foot shop light recommendations?

19. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

20. kriminaal

If memory isn't failing me, 5600k is better lighting. That's the colour temperature.
    But you have to get what fits. If you can't fit a 4ft in there, I would put in two of them and stagger so they fit.
    You really want as much light as possible.