This Disappears When Logged In

Ackie Monitor Questions!

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Arow16, Feb 12, 2018.

1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

For sure that's no problem. Just keep a good temp at one end, but not too high.
    With the lack of humidity you don't want to dry him out further.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Wow this thread blew up, lol. I just shot you a pm, but it looks like Mike hooked you up already. I don't yet have any enclosures using troughs, though I do have one that was given to me that may end up with one. At this point these guys have you on the right track, so good luck on everything.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Haha, don't you love having to catch up on 3 pages.

4. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

He actually was out and about today. He also ate 4 roaches so I am happy. Seems like covering up some of the stuff with tin foil and tape is doing the trick for now.

kriminaal likes this.
  5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how`s the monitor doing?

6. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Good. They are very fond of hiding though and it is hard to feed them which worries me.

Also, I am working on the enclosure, and am coating the wood in polyurethane for anti-mold. Is two coats fine? I saw the guide say 2-3.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Do you have more than one monitor?
    I would apply 3 or 4 coats of varnish above the substrate but below you`ll need something more durable such as FRP (fibreglass reinforced plastic) or fibreglass resin paint/similar (those will literally last a lifetime).

8. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

So should I just paint varnish and the other one over the polyurethane I already painted?

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Are you asking if you can add more coats of varnish to what you`ve already applied (if yes, then you can).
    FRP is fibreglass reinforced plastic which comes in sheet form, I think you can get it cut to size (maybe for free).
    The resin paint may not adhere to the varnish (you would need to contact the manufacturer).
    FRP obviously doesn`t need time to air off like the other products, the resin paint may take a few weeks, water based varnish around one week.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

11. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

So if I applied 2 coats of polyurethane to some of the pieces, should I apply 3 coats of varnish over them? Also, the FPR sheets, how do I "attach" those to the wood? And I should wait a week for the varnish to settle? I was hoping to put it together this weekend.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

"Polyurethane" is varnish, I was only suggesting applying a couple of more coats, yes I would allow around one week to air off.
    The FRP (rigid plastic sheet) can be simply glued in place using "No-nails" (or whatever it`s called in America) then seal all the joints (alternatively you can screw it on).

13. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Any real purpose in sealing the joints? I coated the entire inside in polyurethane and the bottom half is covered with the FRP sheets.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The purpose of sealing the joints in the FRP is to stop moisture seeping through which it will do over time, the varnish behind the sheets won`t hold up long term (moisture will get into the plywood).

15. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

So then wouldn't the top eventually degrade? (being just varnish)

16. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

Also, remember, I have a trough, so the dirt/sand mix will be in that and not in contact with the wood.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

033.JPG 033.JPG
    Eventually yes, but it would be easy enough to apply another coat or two of varnish, the sides and bottom below the substrate shouldn`t require anything more doing for the life of the monitor (15 to 20 years).
    I used self adhesive vinyl floor tiles over the varnished back and sides of my larger enclosure which are very easy to replace if one or two get damaged (also very easy to keep clean).
    I`m only giving you other ideas that you might want to try at some point..

017.JPG

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  18. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

okay, I will look into the tiles at some point (in the future, super overwhelmed atm haha). What about the trough I mentioned, still need sealing? Ackies are doing good. I should be able to move them into their new home Saturday.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I didn`t realise you had a trough (it doesn`t need sealing) in that case you don`t really need FRP in the top half, so where have you put it?

20. Arow16

Arow16 Well-Known Member

you mean in the bottom half? I put the FRP in anyway (waste of 250 bucks lol). I would like to avoid sealing it though since that'll take time.