This Disappears When Logged In

Ackie Monitor Questions!

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Arow16, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Arow16

Arow16 Active Member

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a Yellow Ackie Monitor and have a few questions.

1. He/She is a baby (has to be 3 inches). Is there any worry about impaction? I have been giving him/her dubia roaches that I have for my beardie (juvenile). They measure between 3/8 to 1/2 inches.

2. I have been reading conflicting information on whether Ackie Montors are better off with companions or not. Should they have a companion? If I was going to get him/her a companion, should I do it now while he/she is young?

3. I have read owning a female specifically can be troubling if they do not have a mate (cause of infection holding their eggs?). Is there any way to avoid these concerns that do not involve mating?
    I think those are the main questions.

Any dusting comments would be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

1. So long as you have the right basking temp and general cage conditions, there is no risk of impaction from food, that usually only comes from having the wrong substrate.
    2. That's probably because they do fine either way, they do great in groups or on thier own. This assumes of course that they have the proper setup.
    3. Again, and this goes for most monitors, proper cage setup is the key. Mine have never produced eggs that I have seen without a male around, but it is still possible. So having the right substrate in the cage is important.
    Now, if we could get a few pictures and a rundown of cage setup, including basking temps, cool end temps and humidity, and how you are measuring those parameters, we can see if the setup needs to be tweaked or changed around at all. I'd also recommend reading the care sheet on ackies here, it gives a pretty good start on what your going to be facing.

3. Arow16

Arow16 Active Member

I took a read at the care sheet last night. Currently, I have the ackie in a 10 gallon tank, but was hoping to upgrade significantly today. I am having trouble deciding on an enclosure though. I plan to mix top soil and play sand (as I have already), get plenty of hiding spots, set up a basking spot, etc.. Reading the care sheet recommends a wooden enclosure, but since I am moving in 5 months I would like to hold off investing in a nice enclosure. Any recommendations for cages? Also, any recommendations for lighting? I currently have one light source that gets the basking spot to slightly over 120 degrees (which is what I read is optimal for hatchlings). It requires the basking spot to be very close though. Also, read the part about not have a screen on top in order to keep the humidity. That would have to be taken care of in the new enclosure.

Thanks for the help

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, there is absolutely no way you can get a decent temp and humidity gradient in a 10 gallon fishtank, it`s urgent you get the monitor into a larger, more suitable enclosure immediately (today if possible ) it cannot wait another 5 months until you move.
    How are you measuring the temps and humidity and can you put a few photos up?

5. Arow16

Arow16 Active Member

I realized that. I went out and upgraded today. I initially prepared the 10 gallon since the seller insisted it would be fine, but I realized it would not be once I picked him/her up. I have an Acurite temp/humidity reader as well as a IR gun for temp. Basking spot in the new tank is 120 degrees currently. Lowest reading in the tank sits around high 60's which I'm worried about. The humidity reads 48%, but so far the reader does not seem to be working properly since the temp is way off. I will put some pics in.

Attached Files:

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos, it`s good to see you`ve upgraded the tank. I think you`ll still be losing much heat and humidity from around the heat bulb because there`s a fair amount of screen still showing, can you cover it as completely as possible?
    What wattage and type of heat bulb is it? I also think that a small fluorescent tube (even a normal household type) will offer more light and if you need to raise the ambient temp in the cooler parts either a ceramic heat emitter or infrared bulb are o.k. (day and/or night).
    EDIT: Can you give the size of the tank in inches or cm (length, width, height)?

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm sorry to say but your setup will not work. Dehydration will take it's toll on your Ackie.
    You need a setup that will allow the basking lights to be inside the habitat.
    I have tried to seal off an enclosure with lights sitting on top. Even siliconed around the light hood--doesn't work.
    Humidity just gets sucked out the top.

murrindindi likes this.
  8. Arow16

Arow16 Active Member

Yeah the humidity does not seem to be staying well. The temp is doing better basking gets to 130F (for hatchlings isn't lower preferred?) I had a fourth piece that I used to block some of the open screen so we'll see how that goes. How do you recommend covering the space up? Also, I was considering taping the front vents.

Could you give me a tube recommendation? I could pick it up today.

The current wattage is 100 I believe (would have to go home and check). I forget the type. Open to additional suggestions though if you wanna link me some.

Also, he/she has been hiding a lot and not basking. Obviously he/she is getting use to the new enclosure but should I be worried? Anything I can do to help? He/she ate the first day but has been completely disinterested since then. I did give two good sized roaches, but I read they have a great appetite so. He/she seems to distressed and just wants to hide. I have been trying to avoid handling as much as possible.

9. Arow16

Arow16 Active Member

I believe it is 24” x 18” x 12”

10. Arow16

Arow16 Active Member

How should I accommodate this? Do I need a whole new cage or can I make this work somehow?

11. kriminaal

It's not all that expensive to build a 30" high enclosure out of 3/4" plywood and seal the inside.
    That height will allow you to achieve a decent depth of substrate and with the basking lights on dimmers you will be able to use a Retes style stack for basking.
    Monitor Lizard Enclosure | Reptile Forums - Information
    This is a basic version but you'll get the idea.

murrindindi likes this.
  12. Arow16

Arow16 Active Member

Anyway I could avoid this until August? I intend to build my own, but am moving in 5 months and did not want to worry about moving a big enclosure.

13. Arow16

Arow16 Active Member

Also any guides to building one would be great (not super handy)

14. kriminaal

You can only do what you can do.
    The others commenting on this thread have lots of experience as well, pay attention to their advise.
    Get that top sealed up as much as you can.
    Oh and by the way the person you bought the Ackie from is undoubtedly an idiot.

Darkbird likes this.
  15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Cover as much as possible using kitchen foil, the size is still far too small even for a hatchling for the reasons Mike and myself have given; you cannot achieve suitable conditions in it..
    Most experienced keepers use relatively low wattage halogen bulbs (must be flood beam and fitted with a ceramic bulb holder) either par 30 or par 38 (the "par" only refers to the bulb face diameter) and depending on enclosure size and type plus room temps the tank is in, you might have enough with two @ 50w. These bulbs can be fitted with a dimmer switch to adjust the basking surface temp or obviously you can raise/lower the basking object. They are very cheap to buy but very effective.

16. kriminaal

If you were in Southern Ontario I would whip one together for you.
    I'll see what I can dig up from past posts.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How much can you afford to spend on an enclosure that will last at least a few months (unlike the fishtanks)?
    In my opinion it`s best to build the permanent home from the start (less stress for the monitor and your bank account)!

18. Arow16

Arow16 Active Member

Yea it seems I was very misguided from the start. I did a bunch of research, but the dude was telling me completely opposite things and since I am new to monitors I took his advice. Let me look at building a cage. While I wish I could wait 5 months, I want to take the best of him/her and do not want him/her to be suffering.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Surely you could very easily drive to wherever the OP lives in the world???

20. Arow16

Arow16 Active Member

Yeah my bank is suffering right now. I bought so many tanks that I do not need. I can probably spend up to $500, but I could do more with credit.