This Disappears When Logged In

Ackie Monitor Basking Spot

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Biggle, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Biggle

Biggle New Member

Hey there, so I'm building a new vivarium for my ackie, and I have a quick question for my basking spot, and thought I'd get some experienced opinions on it. First of all, at the moment I have 2 65 watt par38 halogen flood lights about 8 inches from the top of the basking spot, with temps being around 150F right in the center of the light, and dipping down quite a bit to like 85-90 in the spot between the lights. Is this normal? I imagine the temperatures will be different once I get the door set up at the front of the viv. Will attach a pic at the bottom to illustrate.

Second, should I leave the bulbs bare or put on the rabbit wire bulb guards I've built? I've read that bulb guards can be bad for ackies since they'll climb on them and burn themselves, but with my setup I'm worried they'll be able to reach the bulbs and burn themselves that way. Think I may leave them bare, but I figure a second opinion will not hurt. Will post a picture of the cage guard as well. Thank you for the help in advance!

IMG_20171108_204041.jpg IMG_20171108_204145.jpg IMG_20171108_204124.jpg

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

First off, do NOT put a wire guard around the bulbs. From my experience with them ackies will jump and catch hold of things, and once there they will likely hang on the mesh and run the risk of a burn. Whereas with the bare bulbs, there is nothing for them to grab onto, so at most they can only make momentary contact and that won't hurt them. As for the temperature gap in the middle, the bulbs are too far apart. You could either move the fixtures closer together, or even add a 3rd in the middle and run lower wattage bulbs. That's what I would do anyway.

murrindindi likes this.
  3. Biggle

Biggle New Member

Damn! Any tips on how to move the bulbs closer together? I don't think I'd be able to fit a third fixture in between them.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I would also suggest moving the bulbs closer together, if the top is just plywood it will be easy enough to move the fixture. I personally prefer the bulb fixtures to hang loose or alternatively fit them to a separate piece of wood and suspend that down from the actual top.
    I made the box to stop the monitor knocking the bulbs together....
    23944671826_af1ef18d15[1].jpg

5. Biggle

Biggle New Member

Neat setup you have there, thanks!

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

The bulbs don't necessarily have to be in a line, the third could be offset just enough to fit. Murrindindi's setup is also a good option.