This Disappears When Logged In

Ackie Looks Bloated Help

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Dragonmum, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

Hi Guys
    Axle my Ackie looks quite bloated i understand that impaction is not an Ackie thing but he looks like he might explode.... He is very food orientated and since i got him very active. I have him housed in a 5ftx3ftx3ft enclosure with soil/sand mix substrate depth about 2ft basking temps are between 128 to 130 degrees cool end low 70s and humidity is around 50/55. He poos regular but i am not sure if i am getting it all by the time i get to it there seems to be more urate than actual poo. the breeder told me to feed him 6 to 8 large locust every few days now i have a very large roach colony so started to feed him those i now think i may be feeding to much :( i feed him 6 medium roaches ever 3 days. he will not even look at any other food now he completely ignores everything else. So he is now on a diet and he is not happy he jumped on my arm yesterday looking for food but he looks big everywhere his neck legs and belly are bigger then when i got him. Please help i will post a picture of him when i get back from work later.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Going to reserve judgement until we get a pic, but most adult monitors will eat themselves obese given the chance. If this is a younger animal it may just be that it was a bit thin coming from the supplier and now looks relatively plump due to being fed well. And as long as stuff is coming out the back end there shouldn't be an impaction issue. Not much else to say until the picture gets posted.

3. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

thanks he is 3 years old i will post picture as soon as i get home

4. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

sorry he was asleep when i got home will try again tonight

5. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

Sorry he looks ok now I will still post picture when he stays still enough to give you a full view lol

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, are you sure the monitor is a male, and I would also like to ask if the humidity stays around 50 to 55% throughout the enclosure?

7. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

Humidity is around 50/55 percent throughout

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think it`s a bit low, better to have a range, obviously it will be lower around the basking site, but elsewhere it needs to be around 60% or so, even higher beneath the ground, have you checked the burrows/other cooler places?
    If the substrate is 2 feet deep (an even layer) that only leaves 1 ft "air space", which isn`t much at all, can you show a photo of the whole enclosure as it is right now?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Picture and age please. I suspect as well that it's a female.

10. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

Stuck in Sheffield hoping to travel back tomorrow :(

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Oh to be in England now that summer`s come....... (I think not)!!! ;)

12. kriminaal

Two blokes in the same thread, what are the chances?

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Is she also an Aussie, Mike?

14. kriminaal

sure, Aussie, Brit--you're all blokes aren't you?

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

?????????? Nooooooooooooo, only the male is called a bloke, the females are called Sheila`s (some people, I ask you).......

Darkbird and kriminaal like this.