This Disappears When Logged In

Ackie Feeding And Calcium Supplement?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by lonegreywolf20, Sep 16, 2018.

1. lonegreywolf20

lonegreywolf20 New Member

I purchased a four month old yellow ackie last week from a breeder. I was able to see it's sire and siblings and look healthy. His sire loved to be held and acted like a bearded dragon in that way. My girlfriend and I have two bearded dragons.

My questions arise about feeding. He/she will not eat crickets dusted with calcium powder. It won't even attempt to chase it. However, it has no problems eating non-dusted crickets. It also will not eat meal worms. I tried two sizes. Super worms size and small. It has no interest. We are unable to keep dubia roaches as we live in Florida and they are illegal.

I guess I can try gut loading them, but will that be enough?

It has a combo UV heat light, so I am not worried about it having enough D3 to absorb calcium.

At four months is it big enough for a pinky mouse? If so, will that be enough for it's calcium needs till I can start feeding it fuzzies and eventually grown mice?

2. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

Look into discoid roaches as that species is legal in Florida. Ackies are crazy for roaches and is a good staple for them, so its literally a need when keeping them to have a colony of roaches of some sort.

As for the dusting....are you coating them a bit too much that it makes them unappetizing? Not sure how you are dusting them and how much you sprinkle them with supplements but what I do is get my container of insects to be fed off handy, use literally a pinch of supplements and then shake the container up well to do a bit of shake and bake coating. The insects are coated but not caked in it

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Dusting is a hit and miss in my book. If you feed the insects the proper diet you are far ahead of the game. Most people feed their insects whatever just to keep them alive. But we all know that an insect is pretty much just a spoon delivery system.
    We have some sheets that have nutritional value of food (yes it took many hours to complete)
    Reptile Articles | Reptile Forums - Information

A good read is first knowing what ratio of calcium to phosphorous you are aiming for with the food.
    So this is a good read, I'm sure there are others.
    Feeding Insectivorous Reptiles

4. lonegreywolf20

Thank you, I will look into those resources.

kriminaal likes this.
  5. kriminaal

This topic is feeding and calcium supplements so we'll stay on that topic for this thread.

6. lonegreywolf20

I was a little hesitant about coming back here to post, but figured I would give an update.

My ackie is doing well, he's a voracious little eater. I still haven't pulled the trigger on discoid roaches as I have come to realize I would have to keep a breeding colony as everywhere I have looked they are too expensive to buy continually. So he has been getting crickets. He is growing, that much I do know. He has gotten bigger according to people that don't see him everyday. His body is usually filled out and there hasn't been folds. He is also shedding at a steady pace.

Saturday I purchased Repashy Superload to Gut Load the crickets and received that today. OMG! The crickets love that stuff over the Flukers orange. As soon as I put the Repashy in their cricket keeper they immediately swarmed it and I think were even fighting over it. I know what I will be purchasing from now on.

He still doesn't really eat superworms. I have gotten him to eat one and he may have eaten some smaller ones out of a bowl I put in his enclosure, but he may have also knocked them out as well.

7. kriminaal

Thanks for the update.
    I could never get my Ackies to eat supers either, now that you mention it.
    Glad to hear he's eating well.