This Disappears When Logged In

ACK! Tadpole Now Has Front Legs...

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by Frognut, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

One of my Gray Tree Frog(hopefully) tadpoles sprouted his front legs this afternoon. Earlier today he only had two bumps where his front legs were going to be.

Now my dilemma - I have 3 tadpoles in a small aquarium set-up (including this one) and only this one has his front legs. From my experience with my current Gray Tree Frog, the change from tadpole with all legs to froglet will not take long. What should I do? :confused:

Should I lower the water level in his current aquarium so some of the rocks are exposed and he has a place to climb out? Or should I move him into Clyde's habitat - in a water dish that can accommodate him until he climbs out - and how much water does he really need? (2" - more?)

Or are there other suggestions? You'd think I would be prepared for this since I was so shocked at how fast Clyde morphed!!!

Thanks,
    Frognut

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Add a few rocks and sticks to his current tank so he can climb out. He won't eat for about the first week out of the water, so he will be OK with the tads for a bit. If you lower the tank level to 3" your other tads should do just fine.

3. Frognut

When would it be safe to move him/her into Clyde's habitat?

Thanks,
    Frognut

4. schlegelbagel

If Clyde tried, could Clyde fit the new froglet in his mouth?

5. Frognut

Here are some pics - Clyde at the stage my tadpole is currently in, and the new tad and Clyde as of a few minutes ago.

http://gallery.me.com/stephaninie#100048

Just in case someone can identify the tadpole or it helps with the question about when I can move the new guy.

Thanks again!
    Frognut

6. Frognut

This tadpole is smaller than Clyde was at this stage, so when he becomes a froglet I imagine he will be smaller than Clyde was at this stage, but I'll have to wait and see when the new one actually becomes a froglet.

Thanks Liz
    Frognut

7. schlegelbagel

The general rule is they can go together as soon as clyde can't eat the new one. :) It looks like they should be OK, but I don't want to say so until I can see a photo of the new one next to a penny too.

8. Frognut

Ok - I lost my reply. If there is a strange reply that sounds something like this in another thread - I apologize.

My second tadpole has sprouted bumps where his front legs will be - probably by tomorrow based on my other two.

I get you a pic shortly, but when the froglet loses its tail it will be close - he is pretty small. He is out of the water and sitting on the lip of the aquarium (I put screen over the top the second his front legs sprouted - I'm learning :rolleyes:)

The second one is much bigger and will probably not have a problem joining Clyde, and who knows by the time he loses his tail the other one will have grown enough. Then I'll just have one tadpole left.

Is it too long to wait until Saturday to get the wingless fruit flies? Do they really not need to eat for a week while they are absorbing their tail? I'm pretty sure I saw some new containers of fruit flies locally I could pick up if waiting would not be a good idea.

Thanks,
    Frognut

9. schlegelbagel

If you want, I have a bazillion pin head crickets. I could give you a bunch. It might be a good idea to offer food a few days after they get out, but if I'm remembering right, they really won't eat.

10. Frognut

I think I'm going to have to split the two new froglets into their own place for a week or two - until the little guy gets big enough to move into Clyde's habitat because the last tadpole is still tadpoleish.

I can't attempt to feed the froglets with all the water for the last tadpole in the tank. Maybe I'll move the tadpole into a large tupperware container and keep the froglets in the small aquarium - they should be able to handle it for a week.

Clyde is growing fast - he is liking the larger crickets. The newest froglet still might be able to go into Clyde's habitat sooner because it is much larger than the first one, and I'm fairly certain he will be larger than Clyde's mouth. -- But I will obviously wait and see.

Meanwhile I will be searching for a bigger habitat for all of them when they can become a happy family!

Frognut

11. Frognut

Ok - I took pics tonight of the new froglet and Clyde both with pennies next to them for size reference (They are not great, but it the best I could do). Since the 2nd tadpole seems reluctant to morph into a froglet I would rather get the new froglet into Clyde's habitat if you think it's safe to do so.

I have found a supply of fruit flies (alas the winged kind) - but they are free. They are all over my husbands compost bins. I put a small jar with a slice of grapefruit in it and when I get a bunch of the flies to congregate on the grapefruit I'll let them do their thing, and have some to feed to the froglet until I get to the store on Saturday.

Here are the pics:
    http://gallery.me.com/stephaninie#100081

Clyde really didn't want his pic taken - the one where it looks like he was moving -- well he was. When I clicked the camera he was there (obviously), he wasn't there when I finished blinking. I caught him in mid-jump.

Frognut

12. schlegelbagel

Stephanie, I think the two frogs will be OK together.

And let me know if you want some pin-heads. I have more than I know what to do with. Seriously, like at least 1000 I'm sure I could spare a few dozen.

13. Frognut

Oh good, I think I'll move him tonight. The little froglet doesn't seem happy in that smaller tank - there really is nowhere for him to perch except on the sides or on a tiny little lip at the top.

Get with me offline and I'll take you up on the offer of the pinheads. This weekend is the first opportunity I'll have to do anything at all (even stop by your house) so that was why the temporary solution of fruit flies sounds good, even if he isn't interested in eating yet he will have the option.

The other little tadpoles are being stinkers - just when I thought I had this morphing time frame down, they do something different.:)

Do I need to keep the pinheads and the small crickets separate? I mean for a reason other than the ease of picking out the size you want?

Thanks,
    Frognut

14. schlegelbagel

Yes, you should keep them separate. They are so little, you could get away with a little food storage container and some holes punched in them. If you put them together, there is a chance the small crickets will eat the pinheads.

I'll be around saturday (I think) just call ahead.

15. Frognut

Well, both frogs are still alive - so nobody ate anybody else. And I actually got to see Clyde catch a cricket tonight -- it was sooo cool!

I placed the container with the fruit flies in the habitat and maybe the new guy will find them and eat them - if he's interested. I'll throw in a new batch everynight until I can get the pinheads. At least that will give him/her some options.

I've really got to come up with a name for the second one, but nothing has popped in my head. We usually pull the perfect name out for our pets right away -- but maybe he just needs to grow into one..

And if I didn't mention it, the tadpole has back legs and the froglet has almost absorbed his tail. So we are moving along nicely. (Of course it would have been easier if the last three moved along at the same pace, but then where would be the challenge:rolleyes:

Frognut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.