This Disappears When Logged In

Acceptable Uv Readings?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Majrab1389, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Majrab1389

Majrab1389 Member

Hey guys!
    I'm trying to figure out if I need to add any UV lighting to the enclosure. I just received my solarmeter 6.2 and are wondering what everyones readings are throughout their enclosure.
    I have 4 bulbs in the fixture, a plant pro bulb, a day bulb, and two 12% arcadia bulbs. I just want to make sure my branches will be in the right spots and how the readings should look all the way to the bottom.
    Also, is it possible to have too much UV? Would it do any harm (incase I miss calculate something)?
    Thanks everyone!
    ;)

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I can't give you any numbers to go by, but the tubes should say on the package somewhere what the minimum safe distance is. As long as your not getting closer than that you really can't get too much UV.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the idea is to provide a suitable amount at whatever distance the surface of the bulb/tube is from the closest surface of the animal while basking under it, it`s not so important what the figures are outside that range (obviously lower).
    Too much UVB can be harmful. There are a few articles on specific species requirements though I can`t think of the titles off hand, maybe you can Google it?
    The closest thing to natural unfiltered sunlight as far as artificial UVB bulbs/tubes are concerned are the reptile specific metal halides, but they can only be used for very short periods (measured in minutes rather than hours).

4. Cphill58

Cphill58 New Member

I also have a solar meter 6.2 UVB meter
    What lamps are you testing...What distance...and for what reptile?

Personally I use mine for an iguana (275 watts) under a mega ray mercury vapor lamp and a bearded dragon (160 watt)

5. Cphill58

Cphill58 New Member

Measure each lamp separately. Obviously the Arcadia 12% Manos should be measured as 2 lamps together.
    I would be very surprised to see anything in the way of UVB coming from the plant lamp or the day lamp
    But would be interesting to see...
    Standard tests as conducted by Dr. Frances Baines are done @ 12" to establish a bench mark...then additional measurements at the manufactures recommended distance.

If you want to examine with and with out reflectors you can remove and or add the additional material

6. Cphill58

Cphill58 New Member

Sorry I can't seem to go back and edit
    MANOS = LAMPS

lol

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

"They" do that to make us feel silly (you get 3 seconds to edit or else) ..... ;)

Cphill58 likes this.