This Disappears When Logged In

Abronia Alligator Lizard Care Questions

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by Max Owen, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Max Owen

Max Owen Member

Hi, I've had an Abronia for about 5 or 6 months now, and I had some questions about him just to check that Im doing everything right
    1. He's increadibly picky with food. He primarily eats crickets and ignores almost everything else, unless its extremely active, is this normal behavior for this species or is this a problem?
    2. He is a wild caught individual that was bought from a breeder (he ended up with one to many male Abronia's so we got this one). Hes very flighty and aggressive, is there a way to get him to at least tolerate humans at least long enough to get him in and out of his cage
    3. I havent really found any images of a cage setup for this species, only hear about how they live in cloud forests, so is the image provided how it should be, or should i change things? Note its wet because i just sprayed the cage with mist, since this animal needs humidity to be happy.
    Ive also included an image of him to see if he appears to be a healthy individual (he was soaking in the sink why I washed his cage out).
    Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I know nothing much about the species but it looks as if the enclosure is mesh, in which case it will be almost impossible to stabilise either the temps or humidity. What are those, and how are you measuring them?

3. Max Owen

Max Owen Member

I have measured the temps with something called a Flare (i believe thats how you spell it), its a device that gives the temp of a given area up to a tenth of a degree. The ambient is about 75-78 degrees, with a basking area at the top measuring about 85 degrees. The humidity i havent been able to get a reading for as of yet, however from what i can gather from other keepers is that they just mist the cage twice a day and that seems to work, even with mesh cages.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you take a photo of what you use to measure the ambient (air) and surface temps? As I mentioned it will be virtually impossible to stabilise those with a mesh enclosure.

5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

There we go again. Another person coming here for help and just not bothering to do what is being asked of them in order to better help them.
    It's frustrating for me too as I would love to know more about these creatures! Just to make myself a better and more knowledgeable reptile owner.

6. Jdreal21

Jdreal21 New Member

i have a pair of abronia and the screen cages are critical with the ventilation to help with build up of stagnant air they also don't do well with temps over 80f. yes it can difficult to maintain the proper humidity but i don't have issues with my coco coir/sphagnum moss substrate i spray it down multiple times a day with making sure its somewhat dry before the next one you don't want to keep it too wet. when it comes to handling it varies with each specimen in my experience my male loves being on me while my female love biting fingers your set up looks good and so does your lizard what else have you tried feeding it ? how is it doing now since its been a couple months?

7. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

TamJam, I would be skeptical too. There was another recent thread where someone posted a care sheet which indicates airflow is a high priority for Abronia(linked below), but the first response to this thread starts with an admission that Murrindindi doesn't know about abronia, followed by the implication that a mesh enclosure is bad for them.

Arboreal Alligator Lizard (Abronia graminea) | ReptileTalk NET

While I do appreciate that Murrindindi tries to help pretty much everyone who asks for help(including a couple of my requests), in this instance as far as I can tell Jdreal21 seems to be the only one to respond so far who actually has experience with abronia.

8. Bethany Rausch

Bethany Rausch New Member

I've had my Abronia (Male, Reptar) for a little over a year now, not housed in screen cages. I live in a naturally cold state, my reptile room baring two outside walls isn't exactly the best at keeping heat in, even with a heater in the room. So other than summer time, Reptar lives in an ExoTerra. I will say the housing requirements don't leave much room for error. I have two computer fans atop the cage, a mister that auto sprays every few hours and a continuous fogger. I also have four temperature gauges place at the high and low basking area of the cages as well as hygrometers. I also use a Temp gun to verify surrounding areas. I also believe its pretty imperative, if using a glass, to have a vivarium. The plants help keep fresh oxygen moving throughout the environment as well as a living area more akin to they're natural ecosystem. Another positive to having a vivarium is the springtails. Not only to they help out tremendously in cleaning up your reptiles waste, they also prove a snack! I also found that looking up the climate and temperatures of their native land (Veracruz, and Puebla Mexico) aids a lot in husbandry.
    They generally live in pretty high altitudes that aren't always consistent in temperature. I've noticed my male enjoys having a few colder days a month, nothing lower than about 67 degrees (keeping the basking spot the same) on one side of the enclosure, about 72 on the warmer side and never for longer than 8 to 10 hours.
    Feeding Reptar a varied diet was challenging in the beginning as well. I found feeding with a pair of tongs aids in their interest. He generally isn't the biggest fan of Dubia roaches, no matter the side but he will hunt them down if placed into a separate feeding area. Wax, Horn, Silk worms and Grasshoppers are some of his favorites. Occasionally he'll hunt down a garden worm or he'll get after a grub. I would stay away from feeding meal worms but as an occasional treat, they're pretty harmless.
    I'm by no means an expert but this is what's been working for me.