This Disappears When Logged In

About Feeding

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Lili, May 27, 2015.

1. Lili

Lili Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Can you please tell me how long a 1.6 years old CWD can go without eating? Summer vacation period is almost here, hence my question. I have someone who will be able to feed the lizard, but it won't be on a daily basis (as I'm feeding him).

Second topic on my mind is what's the harm in well cooked chicken meat (white meat, boiled without any spices) dusted with all the necessary vitamins and calcium powder. I realize that in the wild, CWD don't eat birds, but looking at this table it seems that the chicken meat should be ok, given that all the necessary supplements are being added.
    We are feeding our CWD a veried diet of cricket,roaches, worms but sometimes is really difficult to keep crickets "in stock" and alive, hence I'm investigating any alternative foods :)

Thanks in advance!
  2. Lili

Lili Well-Known Member

Please people, almost 100 views and not a single reply...
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its hard to answer without knowing specifics.
    But how often are you talking about. Every other day, once a week, once a month? See what I am getting at?

And the problem with feeding the chicken is it is only a small part of the entire organism and as such is extremely lacking in nutrients. And no matter what you are thinking of putting on it, you are not going to be able to balance it out.
    Not to mention the digestibility question of cooked poultry.
  4. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

The way my almost 2 year old goes after cricketers every day like he is starving, I would go longer than every other day. But would really want it fed every day.
  5. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

It's extreme but you can always take it to a vet to board while on vacation.
  6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, as most supplements are pure guesswork (and some of them not worth offering), there`s really no way of knowing that the amounts you`ve added compensate for the lack of nutrients in the cooked chicken.
    If you can always get roaches, worms etc, not having crickets in the diet should make virtually no difference.
    You can always offer whole, raw fish (f/t or f/k), if they`re too big to swallow whole cut them into chunks along the length so each piece has the flesh, bones, guts etc.
    Not feeding them for a few days should not adversely affect their health.
  7. Lili

Lili Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the replies, appreciated!

I plan to leave the dragon alone for no more that 8 days. So basically, my question is how often to ask someone to feed him (having in mind that it cannot be every day) - will be 2 times for those 8 days OK?

Good idea, thanks. Unfortunately, the vets and vet clinincs in my country does not offer such a services. We have only dog/cat hotels, such a discrimination towards reptiles! ;)

One question here - lately, my lizard also eats a lots of fruits and veggies (which previously he avoided). Will that indicate that he is missing some vitamins, or have just developed a taste for the greens? A note - unfortunately, he is going after his poop, despite my efforts to scoop it up as soon as it appears.
  8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Spacing it out to 3 days between feedings will not really hurt the dragon for a week. However a lot can go wrong in 3 days. Do you have thermostats and lights on timers?
  9. Lili

Lili Well-Known Member

Yes, of course, all lights, water pump, water heather and waterfall are running on timer programs. I've had the dragon for a year and a half now, and so far it's a very healthy, alert and always hungry creature. Currently, he is leaving in a large vertical terrarium (48x35x24 inches/120x90x60cm) with a good humidity (ranges from 60 to 80%),the recommended temps and 10% UVB. There are a branches for climbing and a pound for swimming.
    Sorry, my mistake that I did not mentioned all that in the 1st post.
  10. kackerman

kackerman New Member

Yeah, unfortunately crickets don't live very long. Dubias are a little bit more expensive, but can be a lot larger and healthier. You can check out sites like this one if you are interested in taking a look.