This Disappears When Logged In

A Quick Identification of a Tadpole

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Frognut, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Can someone help me identify this tadpole? When I went to scoop out the tads to take up to the pond I noticed these guys look different then my Grays.

For one they all have a dark spot on their back at the base of their tail. Their underbellies are a golden shimmery color and their tummies look a little more bulgy then the others. When looking down on them they also seem more round in shape.

Maybe I'm just not remembering my Grays when they were tads, but I would appreciate your opinion.

I want to make sure that I'm putting them where it is best for them, so If anyone can identify these guys I would be so appreciative!!

Link:
    http://gallery.me.com/stephaninie#100125

Thanks,
    Frognut

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: A Quick Identification of a Tadpole???

Tadpoles are nearly impossible to tell apart. The only thing I know are that the bullfrog tads are the largest around here and are usually gray.

uh-oh... I see aquarium rocks.... ;)

3. Frognut

I just put him in the already prepared tank because it was clear and I could get better pictures -- really!!! I swear!!! Honestly!!!

The rest are still in the big container with the water from the pool, so they can be transported up to the pond --- soon... any minute now. Like maybe tomorrow.

Although, what could it hurt to keep 2 and see what it turns into right???

:eek: OMG - I really am in trouble.... I need Frog Therapy!

Frognut

4. schlegelbagel

It's an addiction. It's OK.

5. Frognut

Ok - so lets say, hypothetically of course, that I keep a couple of these tadpoles and they turn out to be bull frogs...

Hypothetically, how do you care for bull frogs? How much space would they need? Would I want to keep bull frogs? I mean, with the kitchen on the verge of getting remodeled I'm already planning on designing a taller habitat for the Tree Frogs out of one of my cabinets so they have more height.

That would leave that nice tall 20gal tank all empty and such...

And of course if I am totally nuts, and they turn out to be more Grays - the cabinet could hold more and I already know what to do with the tree frogs (sort of).

It really wouldn't be that bad - would it? (My husband is shaking his head, yes, very vigorously at this point!!)

i just wish I knew what I was dealing with -- I definitely do not remember any black spots on the back at the base of the tail with ANY of the other batches of Tadpoles.

Hmm... things to ponder. Quickly, so they can get to the pond tomorrow (either all or most!):confused:

6. schlegelbagel

Bullfrogs get BIG

You would need about a 100 gallon tank, with half land and half water, filtration, all that good stuff. They will need to eat worms, crickets and mice.

7. Frognut

:eek::eek: All the more reason to figure out what they are FIRST :eek::eek:

Or just let them all go to the pond tomorrow and find another fix for my frog addiction. My son said he really wants some Whites Tree Frogs - after he saw the pictures of yours Schleglebagel, he is hankerin' for some too.

The Whites could go in a second cabinet - rescued and renovated from my soon to be redone kitchen. hey, I could have a stacked column of frog habitats - it would only take up one corner of the room and I could leave the bottom closed in to store all my froggy extras....:D

Frognut

8. schlegelbagel

Don't forget, there is the show in Havre de Grace every month. There are always some sort of frogs there, although they seem to slow down in the winter months and appear again in the spring.

9. Frognut

I didn't know there was one every month - where are they held? We have never heard of them before.

That would be cool - and probably very dangerous, but my son would love it!!

I remember someone mentioning a show in Havre De Grace when i first came here, that's what got me to look at where people lived. I had never really paid any attention to that before, and then saw you lived right near me.

Oh, I'm excited...

Frognut

10. schlegelbagel

11. Frognut

Cool - November 8th is the next one, and I think I'm even free that weekend. Not a small feat this time of year.

I've got so much between now and then, this is probably my last night chatting until after Nov 6th!. I really should be working on my projects for the Scouts, but I missed talking about frogs -- so I decided to spend my evening here with you all.

I'm going to try to go that weekend. Maybe all the Marylanders can meet up - that would be fun. Havre De Grace is such a quaint little town.

Frognut

12. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Could you have some Toad tadpoles in there? Let the Bullfrog tads grow into BIG Bullfrogs and then invite us over for a great frogleg BBQ!

13. schlegelbagel

I'm soooooo going to hurt you. First you want Shell to get rid of the cats, then you want to fry up frogs!

The one thing I can say, is they aren't toad tads. Toad tads are 99% of the time small and black.

14. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Thanks for the correction. I had no idea what they looked like, it was only a thought.

15. Frognut

And there will be NO frog BBQ!!!! Sheesh - you really gotta watch this bunch!

Frognut

16. Frognut

Re: A Quick Identification of a Tadpole?UPDATE

Well... much to everyone's surprise....;) I kept 3 of the still unidentified tads (all of the same size) and the rest are hopefully growing happily in the pond down the street.

These three now have back legs - they got them all at the same time (yeah for me), but they still are different than my Gray's. The are NOT Bull Frogs since they are around the size of the Gray Tree Frog tadpoles, maybe a tad bigger - but that is all.

Their underbellies are a shimmery silver and their mouths have a more pronounced 'pucker' to them -- now how is that for a scientific term!! They are also much more active then the Gray's were. These guys dart all over the place.

I'm eyeing up one of my kitchen cabinets that will be torn out for a kitchen replacement and I'll be trying my hand at a bigger habitat for the Gray's - not as nice as Schlegelbagels (but inspired by her). And in the mean time I think I have a connection for a temporary tank when the tads sprout their front legs.

I will post pics when they change more, so hopefully get an ID on them -- cause if they are aquatic, my husband will KILL me (not to mention take away the use of his AMEX card!!!:eek:)

17. schlegelbagel

Re: A Quick Identification of a Tadpole?

Those sound like toads to me! Get ready for a terrestrial tank if you keep them once spring arrives.

18. Frognut

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a terrestrial tank? Is that part water and part dry land?

Frognut

19. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

No, it's mostly land with maybe a water dish. (think of your back yard)

20. schlegelbagel

Think long with ground cover instead of tall with branches. And Shell's right on the water dish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.