This Disappears When Logged In

A Question: Feeding Two Days In A Row

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Chrysanthemum, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

I had a question for anyone who may know. Is it okay to feed a snake two days in a row?

I have heard that it can be hard on a snake to spend too much time digesting, so it is better to feed a largish meal once a week (or less) than smaller meals more frequently.

The reason I ask this is because of a situation I find myself in occasionally with my two snakes. One of them is easily scared and doesn't always eat. The other one always eats. They are sisters from the same litter and have identical setups, they just have their own personalities. I have started to feed them on different days. I will feed the first (Chamomile) on Monday, and the second (Chrysanthemum) on Tuesday. This is so I don't waste mice. If Cham doesn't want to eat, i will give her two pinkies to her sister. and just skip feeding on the next day.

Well, sometime Chamomile only will take one of the pinkies. Like tonight. I dropped the second one by accident while trying to feed her. It frightened her, and she was no longer interested in eating and just slithered away. So I am left with one pinkie uneaten.

Usually it is too late at night (I feed them late, because that is when they are awake) to thaw out more mice. Chry should have more than one pinkie when she eats, she is probably ready to move up to fuzzies. So...would it be okay to feed her a pinkie on Monday and then another one or two pinkies on Tuesday? or would that not be healthy?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Just put the uneaten item in a baggie and in the fridge overnight, and feed it the next day. Or you could even refreeze once, but I find I can usually be safe keeping rodents in the fridge for several days. As to feeding 2 days in a row, I don't know for sure if there would be any harm in it, but most snakes won't take another item on the second day even if the meal was small the first day. And if your feeding 2 prey items it might be time to consider moving up in size.

Chrysanthemum likes this.
  3. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

Thank you for the response.

I thought about putting it in the fridge, but I wasn't sure if it would be okay. It is nice to hear how other pet owners solve the same problems.

I am planing on sizing them up when my current supply of pinkies runs out. At least sizing up the better feeding (and therefore larger) snake.