This Disappears When Logged In

A New Tort!

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by mommycheychey, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

???

:confused: My family purchased a African Spur Thigh Tortoise only three days ago. We have named him/her Peek-a-Boo.
    We have a aquarium, 20 gallon, for now. We are well aware that we will be needing something bigger REALLY soon like the table. We have the UVB light, heat lamp, under habitat heating pad, & the bottom is lined with rabbit pellets. I have also purchased a log for Peek-a-Boo to hide under, however I have just read that I have it on the wrong side of the tank so I will be moving that.
    I am confused on the water situation. @ one place I hear NOT to even have water in the habitat & another place I hear to have water. I know with or without water in the home, Peek-a-Boo will need to be soaked once a day, but should I have a water dish in his/her home???
    I have been feeding Peek-a-Boo all the right stuff, however am I doing it right??? Should I be shredding the food, leaving it chunky, medium???
    Peek-a-Boo does NOT seem to be eating well, the ONLY thing Peek-a-Boo seems to eat a little of is the collard greens I bought, NOT eating the pear, carrots, or alfalfa. I even went out last night & bought some special Tortoise Bites formulated with an appetite stimulating color & scent "Cactus Pear Flavor" & NOTHING.
    I'm sure I will have many more question as time goes by. For now does anyone know the answers to my many questions???
    Oh & a question that my children & I are arguing about ALL the time, is it possible to hold Peek-a-Boo to much?????
    Thanks for your time,
    Cheyenne

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

im sure you dont want to hold her too much..it may cuase stress since you just got her home 3 days ago..as for your other questions someone will be along to help you soon..oh yeah..I almost forgot..:D welcome to the HC

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Hi Cheyenne, Welcome to HC Network. I moved your post and made it a new thread. I would give your baby a little time to get used to his new surroundings and make sure he is eating better before too much handling....I know how absolutely adorable they are...I love mine dearly....

As for the water. I do not leave a water dish in the cage but once a week or so I put one in so he can run through it...I have never witnessed him drinking, but he will walk through it...bathing isnt a bad thing and I make sure his greens are soaked with water when I serve them to insure he is taking in enough water....let us know if you have any other questions.....Lyn

4. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

Thanks for the warm welcomes & the VERY helpful answers!
    & yes, It is VERY hard to leave Peak-a-Boo i nhis/her home. I am quilty & I have to now admit.............................
    My children think it was bought for them but Peak-a-Boo is MINE :) I have been taking him/her with me EVERYWHERE I go. Peak-a-Boo seems to REALLY love my pockets :)
    For the health & LOVE for Peak-a-Boo, I will leave him/her alone & allow him/her to get used to the new home!
    It's a promise, a hard one, but I'll keep to it!

5. mshrmheadcharge

lol..well congrats on your baby tort and im glad to see you rnjoy her so much!!

6. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

Yes I do enjoy Peak-a-Boo VERY much. Mykids have always LOVED going to Prehistoric Pets & seeing the Tortoises there. Sat. we were there for a birthday party, along with my father-in-law & the kids said to him that they wanted a turtle & some how, some way, one of my three mentioned how cute the tortoises were & how much they would LOVE to have one & watch it get HUGE. $200.00 + later Papa had bought it for them :) There was just no way my husband & I would have bought one for that price other wise :(
    Thank God papa was there @ the right time & right place!

7. mshrmheadcharge

lol..I payed $300 for my suriname red tail boa...its amazing the aamout of monry you will be willing to spend once you become hooked

8. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

I know, I'm actually scared now. It has been 3 days & I am already telling my husband that Peak-a-Boo is lonely, he needs a friend :)

9. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Just remember that Peekaboo will weigh upwards of 200 lbs full grown....and will be a bulldozer for your yard and house LOL....Lyn

10. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

lol :) while I enjoy the heck out of Peak-a-Boo being so small & cute I cannot wait to enjoy him/her being HUGE!
    & 1 more question ( for now anyway)..................................
    Does anyone think that maybe Peak-a-Boo is NOT eating anything other then the collard greens due to being in habit of what the pet store was feeding him/her & maybe I just need to find a way to break the habit????

11. mshrmheadcharge

It may be cuz if what the petstore fed him...but Im not sure..thats prob what it is though

12. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

& while we are on the subject of their food, someone told me that mixed into their food I should be giving tortoise pellets. Is this true? Is there really such thing? I haven't seen any.
    I find it REALLY funny that people are approaching me with these "have to's" & I find out the one's telling me do NOT have any kind of a tortoise nor any reptiles or pets in general.
    There are some funny people in this world :)
    I do thank all of you who have responded to my postings for your help & advise.
    If there is anything that I may have left out that you have noticed. please let me know & add it to my knowledge. Maybe there is just any advise you think I should have to raise my baby happy & healthy, please let know of it.
    Thanks again!

13. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

i've had my spur theigh (also known as a salcata)...i think 5 years now.

i don't leave water in the tank with him either. like lyn i also give him occasional baths in the winter time when he's indoors.

i've fed him ReptoMin Softgel ever since getting him and he seems to love it, its made out of all kinds of fruits and vegies. it actually looks and smells like a fruit and vegi dip, i once got a friend of mine to have some with a cracker and even he seemed to like it :p

as for holding him, he'll probably stay in his shell most of the time he's held for a while.
    but after a while he'll get used to you and not always hide when picked up.

14. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Hello, Butternut squash, yam and dark greens are the staple diet for my torts, the Reptomin gel is also a great addition. Torts are attracted to the bright colors of the yam and gel.

15. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

Hi & thank you for replying :)
    As far as my holding Peak-a-Boo...........that seems like the only time he comes out of his shell??? He/she does move around in it's cage, don't get me wrong, but VERY little. He spends most of the time in the cage (aquarium) tucked away in it's shell & it seems that he only comes out to eat & then goes right back into his shell :( Is that not right???
    Maybe I have a VERY spoiled Tort on my hands???
    This gel stuff, can it be purchased @ any regular pet store? Can you give it to them daily?
    I was told that dandelions are a good source of calcium for torts, can I go get them out of my yard & give them to Peak-a-Boo? Do they have to be the actual flower or can they be those white fluffy ones that make me sneeze?
    Geez. I'm just FULL of questions here!

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hiding in the shell is most likely due to not being allowed to get settled in to the new home(too much loving;)).
    The dandelions that are recommended are the green leaves themselves not just the flower. You can feed the yellow flowers too, but I wouldn' use the seed head(the fluffy ones) Just make absolutely sure that they have not been sprayed with any sort of chemicals such pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers. Even if you don't spray make sure your neighbors don't either since the wind can carry the sprays across property lines.

17. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

Thanks you Merlin :)
    We don't spry anything for our dogs sake & our neighbors only have cement in their yard.
    Thanks for the great help!

18. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

Ha ha
    I just went out back & got some of the dandelion leaves & I did rinse them off first just as an extra step of precaution. Anyway I put it in the food tray for Peak-a-Boo & he/she came out of his shell, crawled across his aquarium, & started chowing down like he hasn't eaten in a week, which isn't the case.
    Boy did he really enjoy that :)

19. mommycheychey

mommycheychey Member

Funny question :)
    Looking for answers when someone gets around to reading this, please.
    I know I am supposed to spot clean Peak-a-Boo's cage everyday but I look & look & it's as though he is NOT going to the bathroom. How often do Torts poop or how often should they poop???
    Thanks!

20. mshrmheadcharge

Im not sure how often they go honestly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.