This Disappears When Logged In

A few questions about panthers...

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by MalformedMessiah, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MalformedMessiah

MalformedMessiah Elite Member

I've finally gotten my girlfriend into herp's!!!!! (after month's of ewwww'ing at my savannah). We recently went to a local pet store here, and she fell in love with the panther chameleons. After alot of research I've decided to get her one probably in mid-late october.(Give's me some time to finalize my research) I've come across alot of site's where Panther Morph's look like tye-dye'd t-shirts....multiple bright vibrant beautiful colors all at the same time....could these same colors be expected in a common panther chameleon, or should I look into one of the morph's?

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I just read an article on panther's, I'll see if I can dig it up for you. The author did say that they are most colorful when the males are territorial and he uses mirrors and plastic toys to get his to bring out their colors.

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Males are the better coloured of the two sexes, particularly showing off vibrant colours when they are showing off to a potential mate, or when they see a potential predator. You shouldn't use any glass or mirrors with your cham as a reflection can induce stress - chameleons need to be housed alone in a mesh cage as other chams can cause severe stress.

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I'm sorry, Bitis is correct. The mirror or toy is for a hand held temporary method of getting the colors to come out. I Located the article it's on page 14 of the April 2003 edition of reptiles magazine.

5. MalformedMessiah

MalformedMessiah Elite Member

Thanks for the quick answer guys....I posted this on another site and didnt even get an answer....So I dont need any special morph of panther like a sambava or an ambilobe to get such beautiful vibrant colors?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.