This Disappears When Logged In

A Diamondback Terrapin And A Yellow Belly Slider Problem

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Kornel, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

Hey guys, My Diamondback Terrapin (Terra is his name) has been doing great .The problem is as a matter of fact he is too used to the floating land docks made by zoo med ever since I upgraded him to one of the 55 gallon tanks he has not been basking on the more stable large Penn Plex pier that has a 100watt Mercury Vapor lamp bulb on it .When I removed the Diamondback from his smaller enclosure I stopped using the heat lamp and the ReptiSun 10.0 UVB as they were pretty much about to go pass their time.The Diamondback is a wild caught and he is still a hatchling .I caught him crossing a highway bout a couple months ago .The area used to have a ravine of water but it has dried out ever since and he was pretty much gonna be dead if I didn't stop to take him.The Reason I moved him was because he was getting a new friend a Yellow Belly Slider which I brought about 3 days now .The Yellow Belly is pretty much a bully to him but now they have settled down the nipping has stopped greatly .The problem with this one is he also tries to bask on the small floating dock but it is too small for him it skinks with him and there is no light on it. They seemed more interested in the zoo med floating dock that the bigger plenn Plex floating dock that has the Mercury Vapor and can support both of them without them having to get wet.The most I have seen the YBS do is stay right where the stairs to climb to get the basking spot is.The Terrapin however has been on it once but has been on it since that one time and I suspect he went on because of the food I put on it for them to go up on it.The water temperature is at 75 degrees while the basking spot is at 92 degrees .I did a water change yesterday treated it with ReptiSafe.Does anyone know how to get a wild caught to eat pellets because all my terrapin eats is insects . Also does anyone know any product that is as good a VitaShell I heard it's been discontinued .I have kept Red Ear Sliders in the past .

Attached Files:

2. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

The first pic is the one I want them to bask on as u can see the YBS gets pretty close to going on top but he didn't do it this time and the second one is the floating dock they loved that I removed

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I cannot advise on the care of the terrapins but I have some experience with using MVB`s. Firstly, exactly how many inches/cm is the face of the bulb from the closest surface of the animals when basking under it, also, how are you measuring the basking surface temps?

4. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

I made sure the MVB is 12 inches from the Basking spot because I know it would be too hot if it's too close .I am also measuring the temperature using temperature probes .One probe on the basking spot and one in the water .

5. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

I am considering investing in a temp Gun

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It isn`t just about it being too hot if it`s closer than 12 inches, it`s also the UVB emission. The 12 inch distance MUST be from the face of the bulb to the closest surface of the animal, not the basking object, is that the case?
    You cannot accurately measure the surface temp with the probe, you need an IR Temp-gun.
    EDIT: How are you heating the water?

Digital Infrared Temperature Temp Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point | eBay You beat me to it! ;)

7. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

It's pretty warm where I live so the heater I thought wasn't needed when I got them because the water is warm enough but if u think I will need one I'll get one right away as for the IR gun I will get one soon .Matter of fact I will check online to see if the price is cheaper than in store as I have already spent the amount of money I wanted to invest in the up front cost

8. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

I found a really affordable one made by zoo med I will order

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, I just noticed in your firsta post
    Are you saying you found a Zoo med Temp-gun?
    Personally I would provide an aquarium heater so you can control the water temp throughout the year, they are cheap to buy and extremely economical to run 24/7.

10. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

You can find inexpensive IR temp guns on amazon. Mine was $15 and is highly accurate. The more expensive ones tend to be for extreme temperatures or great distances, don't waste your money. (Just a side note)

11. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

I bought a aqueon heater rated for a 55 gallon tank with adjustable temperature I'll put in the turtle tank tonight ask for the IR temp gun I orded Hippih Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer and it's coming tomorrow because of the one day shipping I put on it .

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Yes you need a temp gun, so glad to see your getting one. As for them not using the larger dock, almost sounds as if it may be too warm, but that's where the gun comes in. I usually keep my basking areas around 100°for in the hottest part with some areas that are cooler.

13. Darkbird

Ok, this is my 300 gallon mixed species setup. Mostly red eared sliders and yellow bellies, with a large map and a couple diamond back terrapins. The pic shows the setup outside, I move it inside in winter and use an LED shop light for ambient lighting and a MVB for heat and UV. I actually dont use a filter normally when they are outside, I just use a submersible pump to change out part or all of the water once a week or so. Smaller tank like this are available for aot less money than a similar sized aquarium, the downside is that you can't see through the sides. For what you are dealing with now, you would be ok taking everything but the basking setup and filter out to cut the amount of cleaning work you have to do. If your mom will let you, of course. It would also reduce the chances of the tank getting broke if you drop a rock by mistake.
    One last thing I will core is the size issue. Your turtles are small due to the improper/nonexistent diet they were getting before, but far more so because of the lack of proper available heat and basking areas. An unlimited diet of perfect food will do them no good if they can't digest it, and they can't do that without heat. If your mom makes you pull the basking light again, expect a big drop in appetite. Last thing I'll say, very nice job on doing your best to improve the conditions for these guys.

Attached Files:

14. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

Lol I also keep reef tanks, freshwater tanks, beardies, leopard geckos and parrots so I don't like seeing any animal suffer .In the pet store I believe that 99.9 percent of the time they were being fed live gold fish .But I feed them crickets ,calcium worms ,mealworms ,hornworms all fed on high calicum diet .I also feed them frozen food both Blood worms and Mysis shrimp .I'm gonna start putting vegetables in too in the diet .Everything is either dusted in Rep cal calicum, Rep Cal Herpivite (multivitamins) and or Reptivite (vitamins).

15. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

I also have a siphon to clean the tank

16. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

Got the temp gun I will check the basking temp after I'm done with the water change .I think I'll set the heater from 80 to 75 to see if that would make them bask

Attached Files:

17. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

I am getting a reading of 82 so I lowed the MVBbut idk maybe I should get a spot lamb combined with the MVB

18. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

Now that I lowed the MVB it's giving readings in the 90's

19. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

Update the water temperature rn is 76 degrees using the probe and the basking spot is about 92 degrees .I think the temperature is under control now

20. Darkbird

Just remember that those MVBs have a minimum distance that they can be placed to the animal, check the direction on yours, it's usually around 12".