This Disappears When Logged In

A cool spider!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Matt_D_C, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_D_C

Matt_D_C Elite Member

I found this lil' bugger outside my door today- he was so big I had to keep him. Anyone know how I can figure out exactly what species he is and/or what to set up for him?

[​IMG]

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

As big an arachnophoibic as i am, that is a cool looking spider! I couldn't tell you what it is, but it is very impressive!

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    Perhaps a wolf spider? I am guessing,so don't quote me. lol It is pretty cool looking.

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Not sure what species it is, but I can tell you that its almost certainly a female, judging by the size and body proportions. As for a setup, I keep spiders and beetles all the time. Something as simple as a large jar with small holes in the top will work. Put some dirt and twigs, rocks, leaves, etc in there. Just feed her wild caught bugs or small crickets and she'll do fine. I had a meadow spider for almost 2 years once. Just kept her in a big pickle jar and fed her a gravid cricket every week and she was good to go :)

5. Matt_D_C

Matt_D_C Elite Member

Thanks Rich- I'll look up some onfo on them and see if I've got a match. I was never big on arachnids, but I've also never seen one this size outside before. lol

Thanks for the info Matt. I think I'm defianetly keeping 'her' (thanks for that as well!) Now- for a name...

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

How 'bout Shelob? Yeah, that's probably been overdone though, but its the first thing that came to mind (The LOTR spider). Hmm, I have two tarantulas, one is Rapunzel and one is Persia.

7. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

OK Matt-

Catching and keeping wild spiders!?! Waaaaaay over the top. I think you need an intervention buddy.

I thought I was sick for feeding the Night Spiders gutloaded crickets and watching them spin the little ****er around into a coccoon and slowly **** it dry.

I'm proud to say we have the fattest Nightspiders in the neighborhood. Maybe they'll have some babies and the babies will talk to us just like in Charlotte's We- oh, never mind.

Scary looking spider there Matt. Good luck with it.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Uh Dom,... buddy,..... if the spiders start talking to you we are going to be checking just exactly what it is you are putting in your coffee!!!!!!!!!

9. Matt_D_C

Matt_D_C Elite Member

I guess it wasn't supposed to be. She escaped (somehow) last night... Oh well. She was really cool though, and Dom: LOL. That's all I can say. LOL

10. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I already know What Dom puts in his coffee

so if there are any off posts....I know why LOL....Lyn

11. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Awwwww, what a shame she escaped, good looking spider too, she might show up again, her home must be near to where you found her, I had two spiders living in the mirrors of my car, no matter how many times i went through the car wash they would rebuild their web on my mirrors lol, they just didnt want to leave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.