This Disappears When Logged In

8% plus 2%

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Hero, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragongrl

dragongrl Member

I haven't considered two long tubes..I'll have to get the second one later though..I've already spent a fortune building. We learned alot from the experience though(you learn from your mistakes) ..thanks for the ideas

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

When dealing with flourescent tubes I always recommend the longest tube that will reach. The more of the cage that is under the UVB the better.

3. zoo med makes a 10.0 which is suppose to be effective up to 20" away the 8.0 are only good a couple of inches away besides having a higher uvb output they are more effective at surface level in the enclosure go with a 10.0 just try to keep from being to close to a basking spot to avoid radiation burns

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are not going to get radiation burns from a flourescent no matter how close to a basking spot you get. They don't even come remotely close to generating the UV that the sun does.

5. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

I agree completely with Merlin. I don't believe you could get burned from any fluorescent tube outside of maybe a lab envirment. For the most part that would go for MVB bulbs as well. I believe the heat from them would drive you away long before there were any problems.

6. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

Does anyone use MVB lights here? I am curious because I would like to get one but if it puts out alot of heat it may be too much for my enclosure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.