This Disappears When Logged In

5 Month Boa

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Aminor55, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Aminor55

Aminor55 Member

Hello Everyone!

My red tail is just over 5 months and growing! I can't believe how thick she has gotten in 3 months, and am so excited to continue to watch her grow. I do have some questions as far as husbandry goes.
    1) I'm still feeding her hopper mice F/T and she is still eating them but I think they are too small for her. Will it hurt her any to continue to feed more frequently smaller prey until the end of this month when I can purchase rat pup F/T without having to pay a shipping fee, or do I need to order a larger size now? Like I said she still eats them but they are small and I can tell she still wants more.
    2) I currently have her housed in 1/2 of a 50 gallon tank. The top is mostly covered to keep in heat and moisture and we have a range of 78-95 degrees with 50-70% humidity depending on how wet my moss is. Is she big enough now to allow her to have the entire 50 gallon tank, or should I wait still? I didn't want to stress her out as a baby, but she doesn't seem so baby like anymore :)

Thank you all for your input and I'll get some good pictures tomorrow and post them.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

How long is she and how long is the total length and width of the tank? Also, you can feed smaller prey items but I would feed them back to back, maybe 2 or 3 depending on her size. Just after she finishes swallowing 1 and it's down in there real good and she starts flicking her tongue around again, offer another.

3. Aminor55

Aminor55 Member

She is approximatley 26 inches long (measuring a snake is HARD!!!) her current enclosure is 24 inches by 12 inches. It's about 2 feet tall. Is feeding her more per feeding better than more feedings? I am bound and determined to continue to encourage her good behavior and calm attitude! :) thank you again!!

4. Aminor55

Aminor55 Member

Thank you for responding AmityReptiles!! I meant to include photos, but it appears to be difficult!! We think she is about 26-27 inches and the tank is in total 50 inches by 12 inches. when she gets as beautiful and big as she will I will manufacture/buy a new enclosure that fits here. I can not begin to explain how amazing of a snake she is!! <3

Attached Files:

5. AmityReptiles

No problem. You should be able to use the whole enclosure now if you want to. However you can also use half of it for alittle longer if you like. And yes it's better to have larger feedings (to a certain point) feeding small meals every few days won't add mass very well (which is what a growing boa needs). I like to feed mine rodents slightly larger than their girth, and at this stage of growth they might take a larger meal like that every 10 days or so.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It isn't that more frequent smaller meals won't add mass, it's that it keeps their digestive process ramped up which is physically stressful. That's why we feed on a weekly schedule.
    If you want to use up the hopper feed them in multiples. The snake really should be on rat pups.

7. AmityReptiles

Not to nit pick, but this definitely DOES affect weight gain and growth. Which is probably due to the digestive system being ramped up like you said.

8. Aminor55

Aminor55 Member

Thank you both for responding! I just can not get over how awesome my little snake is. I've handled her so much and she is so agreeable. I really want to get another red tailed boa. They are my new favorite animal.

Thank you for all the responses!

~Ashley

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Only due to the fact that the amount of food is insufficient to begin with. It isn't due to the frequency of feeding.