This Disappears When Logged In

2nd Sav

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by titus, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Well I really don't know what my wife was thinking but we've ended up with a 2 Sav. She saw it at the pet shop (the only really good one around) and thought it looked lonly well long story short it's with us now. As of now it seems that it's another female so no baby plans. Though the 8 x 4 x 6 foot cage is in the planning and parts are being gathered. It won't be long before they need it. She's slightly larger thatn the one we have but hand tame already. Pictures will naturly follow soon.

2. Palaeomike

Palaeomike Elite Member

Good luck dude. Taking on 2 Savannah's is pretty cool, but difficult. You're probably ready to handle it.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Time to start that rodent farm as well;) Congrats

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats Titus, cant wait to see pics.

5. titus

No kidding we had more feeders than we needed till one breeding group went down hill. So this month we're buying again untill a new group gets going. I'll be adding another for sure soon.

So on to the pictures, my wife wanted to name her Mojo so here she is.

She currently resides with our other monitor (they've lived togther before at the breeders) in a 120 x 60 x 60cm but will be moving into a larger perment house as soon as it's built.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Congratulations Titus!
    Great looking little savannah!

But this picture just screams for a caption,...
    [​IMG]
    "Here Kitty,... Kitty,... Kitty!";)
    Boy do I ever know THAT feeling!:rolleyes:

7. venus

venus Founding Member

Wow, shes beautiful!! Awesome pic and what a cutie.

8. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I'm curious how you determined it was a female. I was reading a article on that. Here is some of it:

"For those of you wanting "a pair" of Ackies, or a "female" baby, you have to understand that "monitors (of all types)" are not visually sexable as babies, and there is absolutely no way to guarantee a particular sex when you are selling babies. Anyone who tells you different is trying to deceive you. Sexual characteristics start showing up as early as six months old, and as late as a year. You can look for head shapes, body shapes, hemipenal bulges, and other factors when trying to determine sex, but it is all still educated guess work. Unless a male monitor plainly everts a "hemipene" in your view, it is so very difficult to be sure of the sex of your animal (females will also evert a similar looking hemiclitoris, only confounding the situation). Some folks may have a "female" monitor for 3 years before it has suddenly everted a hemipene that wasn't thought to have existed in the first place."

Pic of Hemipene

[​IMG]

The person who sold me mine said if it were a male He "Would show me"

If you'll notice in the picture the size of individual blades of grass, You can see this is obviously a mature animal.

9. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Congrats on the add-on Titus. Nice looking monitor.

10. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

How 'Bout, "Those "City Mice" Leave an awfull aftertaste!"

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Great looking Sav!

Caption: Dang, I think he sees me!

12. titus

Og: Thank you for the quote from this article, I have also read this before. It is very difficult to determine the sex of monitors before the development of hemipenal bulges. the only true way is as you say seeing the hemipene or hemiclitoris.With good observation you can possibly sex your monitors though for females it's not always 100%. While defaecating of being held many young monitors will evert what they have. My smaller Sav is very good a this and I can say in good faith that it's most likely female. With the newest, I've seen it evert twice both times looking only like a hemiclitoris though this could be that it has not fully everted it's hemipene so the larger to this time I'm only tentatively calling female.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.