This Disappears When Logged In

219 Persons Infected with Outbreak Strains of Salmonella

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Merlin, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Here we go again!

The Petco Turtle Relinquishment Program
    written by Lori Wildrick on May 23rd, 2012

The Turtle Relinquishment Program is designed to help turtle fans return turtles that have a carapace length of less than 4 inches.
    Due to recent Salmonella outbreaks, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is encouraging anyone who has an aquatic turtle smaller than the federally mandated 4-inch carapace length to relinquish them in an effort to prevent further spread of the disease.

“The sale and distribution of turtles with carapace lengths less than four inches has been prohibited in the United States since 1975,” said Dr. Thomas Edling, VP of Veterinary Medicine, “yet they are still available for illegal purchase through street vendors, flea markets and fairs. Most of these turtles come from substandard breeding farms that do not utilize the latest egg disinfecting, hatching and grow out technologies to reduce the chance of Salmonella in their turtles. We want to do our part at Petco to help ensure the public has a chance to purchase healthy, legal turtles as well as reduce the population of illegal turtles in people’s homes.”

Turtle owners wishing to relinquish turtles with carapace lengths of less than four inches can bring them to any Petco. The turtles will be sent to Concordia Turtle Farms where they will live and be cared for in Concordia ponds. Concordia, who is partnering with Petco for this initiative, is a family owned and operated producer of farm-raised turtles, which has been their specialty since 1968.

Petco's Turtle Relinquishment Program is Available to Anyone | The Petco Scoop Blog

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Certainly makes it rounds once in a while.
    Basic hygiene practice would take care of most of the issues.

3. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

If people would remember to wash their hands before and after handling any herp, and teach their kids proper care/handling of these animals, this wouldn't be such a problem.

I wonder what will happen to the turtles once they are sent to "the farm". I can only imagine how many people will hand over their unwanted pet turtles. I just can't stop relating that to parents telling their young kids that their dead pets went to live on a farm...

4. Merlin

What gets me is the same old nonsense! They act like turtles under 4 inches have salmonella and then once they hit 4 inches POOF! it disappears!
    As to what happens when they go to the farm,...what do you want to bet that the farm just raises them up and sells them!

I also dislike the scare tactic of telling people that hey have "illegal turtles" in their home. As if the "turtle police" are going to come kick down your door!
    It is NOT illegal to possess small turtles, its only illegal to traffic in them!
    If they want to stop the sale of small turtles they need to get off their rear ends and out of the office and go out and stop it!

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If people would stop licking their turtles it wouldn't be an issue!

6. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

But they're so tasty!

There was a news article up here recently where they were warning people about the dangers of salmonella and discussing how it was "illegal" to own turtles smaller than 4 inches because they're essentially diseased. Like Merlin said - it's NOT illegal to own them, just to sell or import them, but according to this article, even possessing them put you at the wrong end of the law. The article was spawned by the recent hospitalization of a 3 yr old who, get this, whose parents bought him a pet turtle for his 3rd birthday, and for whatever reason, HE PUT THE TURTLE IN HIS MOUTH and then wound up very sick shortly after. The parents of the herp-muncher came forward and are requesting a ban on all turtles as they are extremely dangerous and can hurt your children, and prior to their kid getting sick, they had "no idea" that turtles could do that to people.

Maybe they'll get him a boa for his 4th birthday...

7. Merlin

That sort of thing was the very reason for the 4 inch law being put in place decades ago! When I was a kid every department store had dishpans full of little red ear sliders, usually in VERY nasty water!
    And they sold them for 25-50 cents depending on whether or not they had some silly design painted on their shells.
    People bought them for their kids and the kids, generally very young either would put them in their mouths or just handle them and not wash their hands.
    The whole 4 inch concept was based on the idea that the turtles would be too big for a young child to put it in their mouths.

8. Majora

Majora Elite Member

I saw this article a few days ago re-posted on another site, and as far as I can tell the whole thing originates from PETA, so who knows... but they're saying that the farm the turtles are sent to sends a lot of turtles to China for meat.

PETCO Tied to Chinese Turtle-Meat Trade? | PETA.org

The raising them and re-selling them thing is a fact though.

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Like Mike said, would it kill you to wash your kids hands. My kid is 3 and she knows that the rules for holding "her" Ball. Immediate thorough washing of the hands and arms. Parents always want to blame someone else for failing to do their own research. Most often we have no one but ourselves to blame.

And the thing about Petco then passing them over so they can be sent to China wouldn't surprise me one bit. I know they're making money somewhere or they would be doing it.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I feel like a common sense test should be required for all parents to pass before buying any pet. At least this story is better than the mom who left her 2yr old girl alone with a Pitbull then starts crying and complaining to me that her "baby" has never done anything likes this before. He is soo sweet and calm...sure he has nipped and drawn blood before but it was just little love bites!
    Now poor little girl needs extensive plastic surgery and the dog will be put down.

11. Jeninpa76

Jeninpa76 Elite Member

I have never seen them for sale but there is this new stand that sets up at all of our local outdoor things & you throw ping pong balls to win goldfish, after winning 10 you can trade for a tiny, tiny turtle......10 turtles gets you a Ball Python......last year they even went as far as so many BP's got you an alligator or Cayman!! I don't know how they can do this?? lol

12. Merlin

To be honest I don't put a whole lot of credibilty in anything that PETA sends out! They have been caught in too much nonsense!

Unfortunately I see them all the time at Flea market stands and other gatherings. The way they get around it is it is illegal to sell the turtles "except for educational or research purposes".

Only thing is I have yet to see them ask to see a teaching certificate!

Check with your local wildlife dept. They used to do the same thing at our State fair. Only problem its now illegal and they get busted!

13. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

I bet I could still fit a 5 inch turtle in my mouth...

14. Merlin

I am not even touching that one!;)

15. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

LOL!!

16. justor

justor Elite Member

(insert dirty joke here) >:)

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Now there is a challenge. I accept your bet and raise you a 5.5 in tortoise.

18. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

Haha do you have one? And what are we betting?

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes I have several of various sizes. And no clue.

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh I know if I win I will give ou this puppy: image.jpg . If you win I will give you that puppy and this one: image.jpg as well!