This Disappears When Logged In

20 Gallon Pair?

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by bobberly1, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

I was wondering if any milk, corn, or kingsnakes could be kept as a breeding pair in a 20 gallon long. Thanks for the input.

As a side note,what you you all think about the New England Herp Show in Manchester, NH? I'm planning on attending.

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Don't know about the milks and corns but you do not want to keep kings together at all with their own kind or any other snakes. King snakes will eat their own kind and other snakes. You'd have to be extremely careful if you were interested in breeding them.

3. SpecterGT260

SpecterGT260 Elite Member

Corns can also be cannibalistic, although not as readily as kings. I think that all colubrids are opportunistic enough that they will attack a smaller snake if they are hungry.

I suppose you should just wait till they go on their mating season hunger strike and then put them together.

4. Albino_O

Albino_O Member

From my understanding you can put corns together as long as they are the same size. However once they get closer to adulthood they should be separated.
    I kept my pair of babies together. They seem to be fine as they slept together or rather stayed in the same hides. As for the other two no idea.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Keeping corns together is like playing Russian roulette.
    They may be fine,.... or they may not.
    Though not as prone to the behavior as kingsnakes there are documented cases of cannablism in both milks and corns.

You don't keep "breeding pairs" of snakes together. People who are breeding keep them seperate, then at the proper time introduce them together, and after mating seperate them again.

6. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

Thanks. Here's another question. Are there any milksnake subspecies that can be kept singularly in a 10 gallon? If not, I may just use tupperware containers.

7. Merlin

I am not sure about milks but there are smaller species of kingsnakes that will do just fine in a 10 gallon tank.
    This is Spaz, my Ruthvens kingsnake.
    [​IMG]

Adult length is about 30 inches.

8. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

NICE! Are those easy and pleasent to handle? Also, do you know where to get a complete list of subspecies along with their sizes? Thanks for the help.

9. Merlin

Spaz has never even offered to strike or musk. He is a bit squirmy though.
    Definitely not a sit in your lap and watch TV type of snake.
    You can find handbooks on milks and kings that will give you listings of common species and sizes.

10. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

Cool, that's the reason I'm getting a ball python. Still, I may put a 10 gallon or tupperware towards one.

So you don't know of any good online subspecies resources?

11. Merlin

Not really. You could try doing a search for kingsnakes or milksnakes and go from there.

12. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

Yeah, I'm looking at Scarlet Kings, they're a little pricey, but so small and beautiful!

I also have a few other assorted questions:

Do stubtailed Crested Geckos grow them back?

What simple heating regiment could I use for a male Ball Python in a 30-gallon? For kingsnakes in a Tupperware?

Are supplies usually sold at expos? I'm going to the New England Herp Expo on October 4th and I want to know if I should buy the supplies to outfit the purchases' tanks in advance.

13. SpecterGT260

SpecterGT260 Elite Member

Negative on the Crested Gecko question.

14. Merlin

They are beautiful, but you don't see them very often.

No once the tail is gone its gone for good.
    For tanks I like CHEs. For my sterilites I use human type heating pads
    Yes, you will find some supplies at expos, but it varies from show to show. If you are planning on purchasing animals at the expo you should already have the enclosure up and running when you bring the animal in. That way it doesn't have to suffer thru you trying to get everything set up and running smoothly.

15. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

If you use a human heating pad, make sure it is not one with an automatic shutoff after so many hours...

16. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

That's too bad about the Crested. I'm definitely paying for the tail because I really don't like how the stubtails look. I'll probably have the Ball Python tank going before I get it, but I really won't need much for the Cresteds because they don't really need any heat. I've dropped the Scarlets idea because of the price, and the fact that size doesn't matter with Rubbermaids. I'm considering keeping the Ball Python in a Tupperware as well since most of my time with it will be spent handling it.

What's the best for handling, Hondos, Mexicans, Sinaloans, or Pueblans?

So you're saying I couldn't use one of those Zoomed pads for a Ball Python Rubbermaid?

Thanks for the help everyone! What a great forum!

17. What is it that you are looking for subs of? If you let me know, I might be able to find something for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.