This Disappears When Logged In

12 Year Old Boa Way More Active Then Normal But Hasn't Eaten In Almost 2 1/2 Months

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Allison, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Allison

Allison New Member

To start with - My red tail boa somehow injured and lost his tongue in January 2017. Still can't figure out why/how. Vet checked out and in good health otherwise.

In the months since then he has eaten twice (1 jumbo frozen rat & 1 large frozen rat each time). He was due to be fed in early July but wouldn't eat them or any of the other 6 times I've tried this month.

He's also been acting super active, rubbing his nose all over the screen lids and glass and even mouthing at the glass.

His eyes are clear, gums look good, no eye caps left on or bad shedding, and he's peeing and pooping regularly.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?
    At what point should I be worried?

On a side note - I moved to a new apartment a few months ago and his cage is now in a more central area that gets a lot more natural sunlight in addition to his uv and ceramic heat lamps.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

First of All, I'm impressed he still eats after not having a tongue, never heard of snakes losing tongues.
    Secondly your first problem is trying to feed 6 times in one month, at that point you are just training him to refuse food...
    After offering once, or if its f/t offering and then leaving overnight, you should wait until the next usual feeding day (most feed boas every 2 weeks)

What are your enclosure dimensions? And hotspot/humidity info?
    What do you mean by "mouthing" at the glass?

And uv light doesn't do anything for snakes, and if its a compact uvb some say it can even damage the eyes.

Any chance you inadvertently brought him into a cool down period recently? Lowering temperatures for a length of time? It sounds like breeding season behavior, although we're pretty far away from that.

Besides the new apartment, any changes to his environment?

TamJam likes this.
  3. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

No more posts here? Wonder how this went.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They haven't been back since the last post

5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

The loss of the tongue is strange. Could have been a live rat bite.