This Disappears When Logged In

10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Wayne930, Jan 10, 2010.

1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

you would need some sort of topical pillow moss. either a local specialty nursery or an online supplier.

2. Wayne930

Wayne930 Well-Known Member

Ok. I found some online last night and I learned that the kind of pillow moss that isn't tropical can't survive in a terrarium bcause it needs a cold period in the winter. I guess I'd plant it and leave holes for plants. I'm still trying to decide whether to put water in the front part of the tank and land in the back or put water in the side of the tank and land on the other.

3. schlegelbagel

i split my tank up with 2/3 water on one side, land on the other.

4. Wayne930

Saw the pictures of you tank and it looks amazing. I forgot about being able to use a barrier. what kind of material is it (acrylic, plexiglass, etc.) and was it already pre cut or did you have to cut it?

5. Wayne930

Oh also wondering if a 15w normal fluorescent plant bulb would be enough for let's say medium light plants or at least low light or will I have to upgrade to better lighting? I'm still not totally sure about what plants I want just yet but Ive been looking around. I'm probably thinking about lithos but I was wondering if there were any lower light bromeliads that wouldn't outgrow my tank. Thanks.

6. schlegelbagel

its plexi and you can cut it yourself. just score it a few times and snap it.

15 w should do ok.

7. Wayne930

Thanks. Do you think it would be at Lowes? Or even Walmart? What area would it be in?

8. schlegelbagel

9. Wayne930

What section (garden, bathroom, lighting, etc)? I read that it can be easier to cut it with a band saw. My uncle has one, so he could probably cut it for me.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It will be with the glass. Look in Doors and Windows dept.

11. Wayne930

Thanks everyone :)

12. Wayne930

Does thickness matter? If so how thick should I buy it?

13. Wayne930

Also, for the aquatic side would it be ok to put in some HM or Hemianthus Micranthemoides or sometimes Pearl Grass?

14. schlegelbagel

Thickness doesn't really matter since you aren't holding back gallons upon gallons of water. And you can add the plants, but I have no idea if they will live. I went with all fake since I ended up pulling the water side apart once a month to totally clean it out.

15. Wayne930

16. Wayne930

So, I'm going to Walmart today. I'm planning on getting a better bulb for my fixture (6500K for plants, if they have it), a rubbermaid for the roaches, and some tuppaware containers for roach food and water.

Scratch the tuppaware, I read to use a shallow dish for food and water crystals for water (any ideas where to find water crystals)? Also, should I just leave the roach container open top since they can't climb or fly or get a window screen? and how big a rubbermaid should I get? Thanks.

17. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I would get a window screen just to be safe honestly. You can get water crystals at the pet store. They are slippery little blobs it should probably be with the feeder insects as they are used for crickets very often.

18. Wayne930

Thanks. Does it matter if its fiberglass or aluminum screen? because I think the fiberglass is cheaper. lol

Ok Back. I went to Lowes and Walmart. I got the following: a 6500 K bulb, Aluminum screening, a 22g Rubbermaid container, and a spray bottle.I already set up the light and it looks better with the new color. Soon I'll come up with a list of equipment, just so I can stay organized.

19. schlegelbagel

Shallow dish was for putting the feeders into the tank with the toads. if you are going to breed roaches i would get a big rubbermaid tote to keep them in.

you can get water crystals at the pet store. just be sure it's the kind with no calcium.

20. Wayne930

I did get a rubbermaid (technically Sterlite lol) 22g as I said in my last post.