This Disappears When Logged In

10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Wayne930, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Wayne930

Wayne930 Well-Known Member

So I have a 10 gallon tank that I'm currently using as a grow out tank for my 55g African Cichlid tank. Anyway, the 55g tank should hopefully be fully stocked soon and I was thinking about what to do with the 10g. I know I'm pretty limited with the size but I was wondering if you all had any suggestions for it.

So far, I've been thinking about Fire Bellied Toads. I've done quite some research on them and right now their my first choice. I've made a few set up plans on Paint I could share with you if you want for how I'm thinking of setting up the tank. I have a lot of the materials already for the tank (filter, substrate, some plants, etc.)

Any comments or suggestions? Thank you.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You can put 2 FBTs in that tank and they will be ok. You will need lots of filtration and frequent water changes. I emptied all water out after 2 weeks and refilled, and that was with a carbon filter. They are dirty little guys. What are you going to use as substrate and plants?

3. Wayne930

I know about frequent water changes lol. I was planning on doing them weekly with my aquariums. Substrate I'm not totally sure I was thinking about pfs in the water section (because there is already some in the tank, would this be ok?) and a layer of gravel covered by a level of some type of planting substrate (any suggestions) and maybe some moss on top of that. Plants I was thinking pothos if I could get some, I was wondering if philodendron would be ok? Any other plant suggestions? Thanks.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

"pfs"?

5. Wayne930

O, sorry. Pool Filter sand, its one of the best substrates for freshwater aquariums according to many including me hahaha.

6. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Just about any tropical plants are mine for frogs, they don't eat them so plants like orchids and others that are toxic to people can be used.

7. Wayne930

Really? cool. I know my lfs has some terrarium plants that I could add. Any suggestions on a plant substrate to put on the gravel layer?

8. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I use organic potting soil for all the ground plants. Plants like orchids and broms that need little water but high humidity, I normaly mount bare root or with a moss bed and mist well every few days if not daily. As long as they don't stay wet around the roots for more than a hour or so.

9. Wayne930

OK thanks. I might not do orchids because of the size of my tank but maybe some small bromeliads. I found an inexpensive fogger (An Exo Terra fogger around $38-40), do you think it would be a good investment?

10. schlegelbagel

No need for a fogger. Just a waste of money for these guys since they spend the majority of the time in the water. I use shredded coconut husk with large flat rocks on top. They like to climb on the rocks and it keeps them from tromping the substrate into the water.

11. Wayne930

Ok cool. Thanks. So by coconut husk you mean like bed a beast or those bricks (of substrate)?

12. schlegelbagel

Yes, the expandable bricks. Organic potting soil works too.

13. Wayne930

Ok I'll have to see what I can get my hands on. I don't know if we're going on vacation this year or not so it'll have to wait before I can really start it but Im making preperations and will soon visit some pet stores to see what they offer.

14. Wayne930

Well I was thinking today, and I don't think I should go through with this :(. I'm too young to have a job yet (by like 2 years) and I'm not sure if I"ll be able to afford buying crickets on a weekly basis. Also, my family members apparently don't like the noise crickets make lol, so I don't think I could breed them either. I really enjoyed spending time here at this great website and I have lots of valuable information for when I'm off on my own and know I can afford it lol. Thanks everyone so much.

15. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Feel free to continue hanging around. Some members don't keep or own herps anymore or yet but still enjoy talking about them and things like that so they stick around. :)

16. Wayne930

Thanks. :) I will.

Btw, don't get surprised if I change my mind and find a way to keep them hahahaha. Just saying this choice isn't 100% final lol.

Scratch what i said earlier I'm back on the wagon haha. I Just need to find somewhere to keep the crickets where they won't disturb the parental units lol.

How can I keep the plant substrate out of the water? I was wanting moss but idk where to get some. What do you all think?

17. Wayne930

18. Wayne930

Anyone?

19. schlegelbagel

what kind of moss?

roaches are great. just put them in a dish in the tank they cant climb out of

20. Wayne930

Thanks. Thats what I was wondering. What kind of moss or what kind of something should I use to keep the soil out of the water and dirtying it up? I think roaches would be a lot better in my situation than crickets, even if they take a while to breed.