This Disappears When Logged In

1 eyed wood frog

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Jade, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

i went to see if the tadpoles i left in the little pond in my "toad abode" were still their and i found this one eyed dark phase wood frog. they cant grow that fast can they? they would have just been turning into froglets last month. im not sure how he got in but i did see a frog jumping around the garden but it escaped into the rock wall next to the toad abode. i thought it was a pickeral frog but i guess it could have been this guy.
    im going to let him stay livng in there but in winter should i bring him in the little puddle pond is shallow and will probably freeze solid
    he's a cute little guy.
    my mom wants to know if he'd be better off living indoors becuase of his one eye but i dont know.
    He's almost 2 inches long i think i dont know if the missing eye is an injury or a defect

Attached Files:

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

He's a cute lil thing.

3. Tammy

Tammy Subscribed User Premium Member

He is so cute! I'd rather keep him than take the chance that something might snatch him up. Only having 1 eye has to make it difficult for the little guy.

4. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

I think you should contact your state Fish and Wildlife dept. and ask them who you report malformed amphibians to. Your little friend could mean important data for a biologist. Additionally if you have a state biologist who deals with frogs they could probably tell you whether it was an injury or a malformation and answer some of your other more specific questions.

5. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

good idea, i'll set up a tank for him tomorrow and see what the fish and game people think of him

6. Python John

Python John Elite Member

looks like he's winking at you :p ;) :p ;)

7. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

:D im gonna call him WINK!

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

You don't have to worry about him freezing. Wood frogs are capable of freezing solid. They live further north than any other amphibian, right up to the arctic circle. I don't remember off hand how the process works, but I think they use glucose to keep their cell walls from rupturing as the ice crystals form inside their bodies. They can literally freeze solid, then thaw out months later and hop away. Its pretty cool to watch, me being from ND and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.